Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Mirko Raner <mi...@raner.ws> on 2017/02/22 01:52:25 UTC

Apache SIS Shapefile Storage

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my hands on the org.apache.sis.storage:sis-shapefile
artifact; more specifically, I'm interested in the DBFDriver class that's
defined in that artifact.

According to
http://mvnrepository.org/artifact/org.apache.sis.storage/sis-shapefile/0.5-jdk7,
this artifact should be located in the Maven Geotoolkit repository at
http://maven.geotoolkit.org. Unfortunately, maven.geotoolkit.org (as well
as all other geotoolkit.org URLs that I've tried) currently returns an HTTP
503 error ("Service Temporarily Unavailable").

Is this just a temporary outage, or has this artifact moved to some other
repository? I checked the Central Repository, but there is no sis-shapefile
uploaded to that repo at all. What is the recommended way to obtain this
particular artifact (or, if available, a newer version of it)?

Thanks,

Mirko

Re: Apache SIS Shapefile Storage

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Hello Mirko and Marc

Thanks Marc for the reply.

Le 22/02/2017 � 06:31, Marc Le Bihan a �crit :

>    (Is Git used now or SVN still ? I tried to push something through
> Git few week ago but it failed).

SVN is still the master repository and Git the mirror. I wanted to leave
enough time to the Apache infrastructure team to settle down their work
related to Git support with other projects. I didn't checked their
status lately. Maybe Chris Mattmann would know more.

> The Driver isn't published yet because I wished to set a good parser
> on its SQL conditions clauses, but waiting for that could be waiting
> for long because it would be a long and difficult coding to achieve that.
>
> If Driver was released the next version of Apache SIS, it would have
> only support of simple conditions clause. "WHERE ID = 15", "WHERE
> POPULATION > 10000", etc. But wouldn't support AND, OR operators nor
> GROUP BY or other directives.

An alternative which may be nice to explore would be whether we could
use Apache Calcite for managing the SQL interpretation part. Ideally not
only for Shapefile, but some other data stores too.

One thing that would be nice to adjust before a sis-shapefile release
would be to uniformize (at least partially) the API with other data
stores. A common API proposal has been submitted in [1] but is likely to
evolve.

    Martin

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/5e052209b5d2023a4e05b5f08dc9b755501c6798ba7b4de38a82614b@%3Cdev.sis.apache.org%3E

Re: Apache SIS Shapefile Storage

Posted by Marc Le Bihan <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

    The DBFDriver class and others are defined since version 0.7-SNAPSHOT,
but have not been released yet.
    These class are available only through the 0.7-SNAPSHOT and 0.8-SNAPSHOT
versions of apache.sis

    I downloaded it from
    git://git.apache.org/sis.git, branch JDK 8
    No need to refer to geotoolkit repository.

    (Is Git used now or SVN still ? I tried to push something through Git
few week ago but it failed)

    The Driver isn't published yet because I wished to set a good parser on
its SQL conditions clauses, but waiting for that could be waiting for long
because it would be a long and difficult coding to achieve that.
    If Driver was released the next version of Apache SIS, it would have
only support of simple conditions clause. "WHERE ID = 15", "WHERE POPULATION
 > 10000", etc. But wouldn't support AND, OR operators nor GROUP BY or other
directives.
    By the way, isn't able to do updates in the DBF yet.
    However, it is able to return all the columns of a set of rows, for a
simple condition, in their proper field format and this is convenient : you
will receive a String for a String, a java.sql.Date for a Date, and a Big
Decimal for a Decimal Field.

Regards,

Marc Le Bihan