Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com> on 2002/09/04 12:02:59 UTC

iText jars

Hi!

There are two iText JAR files in /lib/optional (from jars.xml):

 <file>
	<title>iText XML to PDF/HTML/RTF converter (Renderer)</title>
	<description>iText reads XML documents and turns them into
PDFs</description>
	<used-by>iText serializer</used-by>
	<lib>optional/itext-0.93b.jar</lib>
	<homepage>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/</homepage>
 </file>

 <file>
	<title>iText XML to PDF/HTML/RTF converter (XML APIs)</title>
	<description>iText reads XML documents and turns them into
PDFs</description>
	<used-by>iText serializer</used-by>
	<lib>optional/itext-xml-0.93.jar</lib>
	<homepage>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/</homepage>
 </file>

Anybody knows are them both required or these are duplicates? Which one is
the correct one?

The second question is: if anybody already tried this serializer? Does it
solve the problems with graphics and tables that happen with FOP?

Best regards,
  Konstantin Piroumian

Re: iText jars

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
tcurdt@dff.st wrote:
>>The second question is: if anybody already tried this serializer? Does it
>>solve the problems with graphics and tables that happen with FOP?
>

> It should... I have heard that iText is much faster and comes with much more
> features. you might want to have a look at their website.

Ahem, actually it hasn't "much more features", just different ones.
The XML is basically some XMLified PDF, and if you know PostScript
you know what this means. You can place everything everywhere, but
this also means you have a lot of low-level work to do yourself
which FOP would do for you. And, I'm not aware that iText does
hyphenation and such higher-level tasks.
IText is a great tool if you want to reproduce a complex form
with few text and a lot of boxes which must be placed at certain
positions anyway, or if you have to write a report which is a
300page table with customer names and sales figures. It is less
suited for PDFing software manuals.

J.Pietschmann

Re: iText jars

Posted by tc...@dff.st.
Quoting Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com>:

> Hi!
>
> There are two iText JAR files in /lib/optional (from jars.xml):
>
>  <file>
> 	<title>iText XML to PDF/HTML/RTF converter (Renderer)</title>
> 	<description>iText reads XML documents and turns them into
> PDFs</description>
> 	<used-by>iText serializer</used-by>
> 	<lib>optional/itext-0.93b.jar</lib>
> 	<homepage>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/</homepage>
>  </file>
>
>  <file>
> 	<title>iText XML to PDF/HTML/RTF converter (XML APIs)</title>
> 	<description>iText reads XML documents and turns them into
> PDFs</description>
> 	<used-by>iText serializer</used-by>
> 	<lib>optional/itext-xml-0.93.jar</lib>
> 	<homepage>http://www.lowagie.com/iText/</homepage>
>  </file>
>
> Anybody knows are them both required or these are duplicates? Which one is
> the correct one?

AFAIU the second one is just the XML API so both are required.

--
Torsten