Posted to users@openjpa.apache.org by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com> on 2009/02/16 17:10:10 UTC

ReverseMappingTool MetaDataException

I am trying to turn a bunch of SQL tables into Java classes for use with
OpenJPA.

I am using ant to do this, and I have coded my build.xml:-

       <path id="jpa">
           <fileset dir="lib">
                <include name="*.jar"/>
                </fileset>
            </path>
        <taskdef name="reversemappingtool"
               classname="org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.ant.ReverseMappingToolTask"
               classpathref="jpa"/>
        <!-- reverse map the entire database -->
        <reversemappingtool package="uk.co.linkchoose.accounts.jpa"
                            directory="${basedir}/src"
                            metadata="none">
            <config connectionDriverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
                connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql://10.0.1.2/linkchoose_accounts"
                connectionUserName="david"/>
            <codeformat tabSpaces="4"
                                  spaceBeforeParen="true"
                                  braceOnSameLine="true"/>
            </reversemappingtool>

but when I run it is complains of a MetaDataException, saying that that
the MetaDataFactory could not be configured and suggesting that I need
a persistence.xml in my classpath.

This makes no sense, as normally when I use persistence.xml the only
things there are the provider (well I presume that the reverse mapping
tool can only handle OpenJPA and is not generic, so that should not be
needed), the list of persistent classes (these classes are going to be
generated by the tool, so I should not have to list them in advance)
and properties such as datasource or jdbc parms (I put the JDBC
parms in the <config> tag.

The documentation makes no reference to needing persistence.xml
for the ReverseMappingTool that I can find.

So why does it need a persistence.xml, and what needs to be in it.

I am using 1.2.0-r422266:683325 if that makes a difference.

David

Re: ReverseMappingTool MetaDataException

Posted by David Goodenough <da...@btconnect.com>.
On Monday 16 February 2009, David Goodenough wrote:
> I am trying to turn a bunch of SQL tables into Java classes for use with
> OpenJPA.
>
> I am using ant to do this, and I have coded my build.xml:-
>
>        <path id="jpa">
>            <fileset dir="lib">
>                 <include name="*.jar"/>
>                 </fileset>
>             </path>
>         <taskdef name="reversemappingtool"
>
> classname="org.apache.openjpa.jdbc.ant.ReverseMappingToolTask"
> classpathref="jpa"/>
>         <!-- reverse map the entire database -->
>         <reversemappingtool package="uk.co.linkchoose.accounts.jpa"
>                             directory="${basedir}/src"
>                             metadata="none">
>             <config connectionDriverName="org.postgresql.Driver"
>
> connectionURL="jdbc:postgresql://10.0.1.2/linkchoose_accounts"
> connectionUserName="david"/>
>             <codeformat tabSpaces="4"
>                                   spaceBeforeParen="true"
>                                   braceOnSameLine="true"/>
>             </reversemappingtool>
>
> but when I run it is complains of a MetaDataException, saying that that
> the MetaDataFactory could not be configured and suggesting that I need
> a persistence.xml in my classpath.
>
> This makes no sense, as normally when I use persistence.xml the only
> things there are the provider (well I presume that the reverse mapping
> tool can only handle OpenJPA and is not generic, so that should not be
> needed), the list of persistent classes (these classes are going to be
> generated by the tool, so I should not have to list them in advance)
> and properties such as datasource or jdbc parms (I put the JDBC
> parms in the <config> tag.
>
> The documentation makes no reference to needing persistence.xml
> for the ReverseMappingTool that I can find.
>
> So why does it need a persistence.xml, and what needs to be in it.
>
> I am using 1.2.0-r422266:683325 if that makes a difference.
>
> David

Does no one else use the ReverseMappingTool.  Its a real shame that it is
so difficult to use.

David