Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/03 20:58:21 UTC

Tuscany MTOM

Hi,
fist of all happy new year! Is feasible enabling MTOM in Tuscany Axis
Web Services (in axis.xml), or are there drawbacks?
Cheers,
Giorgio.

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Giorgio Zoppi wrote:
> Hi,
> fist of all happy new year! Is feasible enabling MTOM in Tuscany Axis
> Web Services (in axis.xml), or are there drawbacks?
> Cheers,
> Giorgio.

Happy new year Giorgio!

If I remember correctly, when I tried it broke interop with non-MTOM
services (as it was always enabled for all services) but that was a year
ago, so you could try again now and look for a way to enable it on a
per-service basis.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
[snip]
 >> Jean-Sebastien Delfino wrote:
>> +1 to use a policy, but I have a question: doesn't SOAP 1.2 imply
>> "enable MTOM"?
>>
>> if yes --> we should just use the soap12 intent to enable MTOM
>> if no --> we need a specific MTOM policy

[snip]

> Its is also possible to use MTOM with SOAP 1.1 and we need a way to enable
> that. and its also conceivable that you may want to use SOAP 1.2 without
> MTOM -  maybe the remote system doesn't support MTOM but does require SOAP
> 1.2.
>
> So i think we do need the new separate MTOM policy intent to control this.

Good point, +1 for an MTOM policy intent.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 4, 2008 8:56 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org> wrote:

> ant elder wrote:
> [snip]
> > I think it would be great to support MTOM.
> [snip]
> > >  We could do that using intents the same way as the support for SOAP
> > 1.2 is done and the scdl would look something like:
> >
> > <binding.ws requires="MTOM" />
> >

> +1 to use a policy, but I have a question: doesn't SOAP 1.2 imply
> "enable MTOM"?
>
> if yes --> we should just use the soap12 intent to enable MTOM
> if no --> we need a specific MTOM policy
>
> Some resources:
> - Comments about MTOM on the WSDL 1.1 SOAP 1.2 binding
> http://www.w3.org/Submission/2006/05/Comment
>
> - MTOM WS policy working draft
> http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-mtom-policy/
>
> - WSDL 2.0 showing enablement of MTOM in the WSDL
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-wsdl20-primer-20050803/#adv-MTOM

Its is also possible to use MTOM with SOAP 1.1 and we need a way to enable
that. and its also conceivable that you may want to use SOAP 1.2 without
MTOM -  maybe the remote system doesn't support MTOM but does require SOAP
1.2.

So i think we do need the new separate MTOM policy intent to control this.

   ...ant

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by scabooz <sc...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, the policy spec has an open issue to consider how to
describe intents that have such a relationship.  It's similar to the
idea of a profile intent, but the semantics for matching wires
would be slightly different.

http://www.osoa.org/jira/browse/POLICY-22

Dave

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

Re: Tuscany MTOM

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008 7:58 PM, Giorgio Zoppi <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> fist of all happy new year! Is feasible enabling MTOM in Tuscany Axis
> Web Services (in axis.xml), or are there drawbacks?
> Cheers,
> Giorgio.

Happy new year to you too. I think it would be great to support MTOM.
Ideally we'd have finer control than just enabling it globally, so for
example we could enable/disable it on individual refererences using the WS
binding. We could do that using intents the same way as the support for SOAP
1.2 is done and the scdl would look something like:

<binding.ws requires="MTOM" />

Should be pretty easy to do if you're interested. See the Axis2 MTOM guide
[1], and update our Axis2 binding definitions file [2] with a new MTOM
intent and update the Axis2ServiceClient [3] to read the intent in a similar
way as the requiresSOAP12 method.

   ...ant

[1] http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_0/mtom-guide.html

[2]