Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Sunil Goklani <up...@hotmail.com> on 2006/05/20 03:05:47 UTC

Dynamic references to properties files

Hi All,

I had a question on how I could use two variables to access information from
my properties files.  I am trying to build an ant script to generate
configuration files for all of my development, qa, and staging environments.

For example I have the following in a properties file:

#Configuration for adapterconfig.xml
adapterconfig.webpath=<property
name="webPath">http://localhost:7001/cis-7.6.0</property>
assem1-adapterconfig.webpath=<property
name="webPath">http://some-server.com:8185/cis-7.6.0</property>
assem2-adapterconfig.webpath=<property
name="webPath">http://some-server2.com:8185/cis-7.6.0</property>

The first property is what developers use and check/label into the cvs.  The
other values are what I am supposed to have for my respective environments.

Suppose I input "-Dset.environment=assem1" as a command line argument.  Is
there a way possible for me to access the value of
${assem1-adapterconfig.webpath} with a variable combination of
"${${set.environment}-${adapterconfig.webpath}}".

I tried it like that and I got an error because it was replacing the actual
value of "adapterconfig.webpath" before it even got to where I wanted it to.

Second approach:

I created a temp property and built out the correct string
<property name="p-temp"
value="${set.open}${set.environment}-adapterconfig.webpath${set.close}"/>
the set.open and set.close are the ${ and } respectively.  However now in my
destination file, it actually replaces with:
"${assem1-adapterconfig.webpath}" and not the value itself.  Is there anyway
I can make ant recognize this string as a property?

Thanks all in advance!