Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2002/07/11 22:44:37 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Remove SQLTransformer in 2.1

Hi All,

Backward compatibility among minor revisions is generally a smart and
good thing to do.  However, there does
become a point where it grows six legs and starts biting you.

The ESQL generator AFAIK supports everything one could need to do via
the SQLTransformer and there does not seem
to be a reason to continue to support both technologies.

IMHO, while the code quality of the ESQL stylesheet is relatively low,
the quality of the SQLTransformer is lower probably due to code rot and
negative evolutionary pressures.

I would suppose the SQLTransformer being largely a Cocoon 1.x construct
is reasonable slow and my own unscientific benchmarking seems to confirm
this.

I'd like to propose we remove the SQLTransformer from Cocoon 2.1 and
newer releases, remove all SQLTransformer based samples (or provide esql
alternatives).

Thoughts?

-Andy

Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove SQLTransformer in 2.1

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>Here is one...
>
>xml-cocoon2\src\scratchpad\src\org\apache\cocoon\taglib\Tag.java
>
>If this idea picks up, SQLTransformer will be re-implemented as a set of
>tags (one tag?), and ESQL will be deprecated.
>
>:)
>

>PS SQLTransformer code might be messy. But functionality it provides is
>valuable to some (many?) users.
>
>Vadim

Looks like this:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/elementprocessor/

Personally I don't like the concept of generating XML at the transformer
level.

Can you give a use case where it is necessary?

-Andy

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Andrew C. Oliver [mailto:acoliver@apache.org]
>
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> >On Thursday 11 July 2002 22:44, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >
> >>. . .
> >>I'd like to propose we remove the SQLTransformer from Cocoon 2.1 and
> >>newer releases, remove all SQLTransformer based samples (or provide
esql
> >>alternatives).
> >>

> >(I have no formal voting rights here but)
> >-1
> >
> >Why remove a component that works?
> >This would certainly break some existing apps and annoy users.
> >
> >Maybe it could be marked "deprecated", as is done in java, meaning it
won't
> >be developed any further and is not recommended for new projects.
> >
> And that has worked so well in Java.... hehe.  Its been deprecated for
> awhile.  The documentation has said this.  Officially
> Sun considers deprecated to mean that in future releases it may go
away.
>  They're just lazy about doing it.  This results in
> some things that work intermittantly which is the worst kind of bug.
>
> One reason is that its a maintenance drag, cocoon is undergoing some
> resonable re-engineering under the covers, along with Avalon.
Updating

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> ESQL is certainly more developed, but it is not a replacement.  Where
> in SQLTransformer do you suspect code rot?  Have people been
> experiencing problems with it?

Open up the sourceode for the transformer, look at the amount of
repetitive code.. . The SQL Transformer is also some many factors slower
than ESQL.  There is no shared source between them so fixes to each have
to be done seperately.  For instance I needed support for big numbers, I
had to work in both places for consistancy.

-Andy

Posted by Greg Weinger <gw...@itmedicine.net>.
Per Kreipke wrote:

>>The ESQL generator AFAIK supports everything one could need to do via
>>the SQLTransformer and there does not seem
>>to be a reason to continue to support both technologies.
>>

>How can that be true? The transformation point in the pipeline is very
>different than a generator. For example, I can order transformations such
>that the SQL transformer comes between other transforms but you couldn't do
>that with a generator.
>
>Per

I have to second this; I have long disagreed with the implication, in
the documentation, that the SQLTransformer should be deprecated because
of ESQL.

It gives new users the sense that the Generation stage is the only place
to perform "heavy-duty" operations like data access.  I think this
discourages creative thinking in using the Transformation stage to solve
problems.  Just because M-V (of MVC fame) maps nicely to G-T, doesn't
mean that it should in every case, or that this is necessarily
preferable.  A well-crafted Transformer can provide extremely effective
code reuse.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>How can that be true? The transformation point in the pipeline is very
>different than a generator. For example, I can order transformations such
>that the SQL transformer comes between other transforms but you couldn't do
>that with a generator.

Very few times is there a reason to build your query and pass it to the
transformation layer and I sure can't think of one.  Secondly, this
"Transformer" is an extreme violation of the contract specified for a
Transformer.  It more fits in with what a generator does.

-Andy

Posted by Per Kreipke <pe...@onclave.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

--
 Bertrand Delacrétaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)

 buzzwords: XML, java, XSLT, cocoon, mentoring/teaching/coding.
 disclaimer: eternity is very long. mostly towards the end. get ready.

Re: [DOCUMENTATION ISSUE] Re: [PROPOSAL] Remove SQLTransformer in 2.1

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
My bad...someone already did.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>It is remarkably slower than ESQL.  Okay if you feel this strongly about
>>it then thats fine.  Would you
>>be against refactoring the two and moving the common constructs to
>>common classes as Vadim suggested?
>>

>No, refactoring sounds like a good idea as long as the SQLTransformer
>is not dependend on any XSP stuff.

I would consider that a given.   Great then.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.