Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Stefano Bianchi <st...@softeco.it> on 2005/01/21 13:14:55 UTC

Porting web applications from J1.5 to J2

Dear ALL,
I have to develop a new portal.

I used and customized a J 1.4b3 with many IFramePortlets hosting external
web applications.

Will J2 allow me to embed this IFramePortlets with web applications or would
it be better to stop at J 1.5?

Thank you guys
Stefano

Ing. Stefano Bianchi
Softeco Sismat S.p.A.
Via De Marini, 1 - WTC Tower
16149 Genoa (ITALY)
e-mail: stefano.bianchi@softeco.it
tel: +39 010 60.26.368
fax: +39 010 60.26.350

Re: Porting web applications from J1.5 to J2

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Stefano Bianchi wrote:

>Dear ALL,
>I have to develop a new portal.
>
>I used and customized a J 1.4b3 with many IFramePortlets hosting external
>web applications.
>
>Will J2 allow me to embed this IFramePortlets with web applications or would
>it be better to stop at J 1.5?

I think you're better off first migrating your installation from JS
1.4b3 to J1-CVS (or 1.6 when it's released).
This should be more or less a no brainer as J1.6 is expected to be fully
backward compatible to 1.4

However, using 1.6 you'll be able to activate Fusion, which is basically
a bridge to an embedded Jetspeed 2 M1,
and start porting your portlets one by one to JSR-168.

This should provide you with a smooth upgrade path to J2 : you'll not
get the full benefits of J2 at first but
you're sure not to lose any functionality and minimize migration risks.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/