Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Anthony Elder <an...@uk.ibm.com> on 2002/10/31 12:42:13 UTC

RE: [WSIF] [PROPOSAL]Additional contribution ... JCA (J2C) provid er

Thomas,

The current version of WSIF is no longer on alphaworks its on the Apache
site, for details see the WSIF home page at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/readme.htm?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html

You can see the doc provided with the JCA provider proposal from the online
CVS interface at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/proposals/jca/j2c_extensions/wsif_j2c_extensions.htm

To answer some of your questions:

1) Yes you need to write any new WSDL extensions a new provider uses.  For
example the WSIF Java and EJB providers defining extensions in the packages
org.apache.wsif.wsdl.extensions.java and
org.apache.wsif.wsdl.extensions.java respectively for their new bindngs.
These are documented at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/README_files/wsdl_extensions/java_extension.html
 and
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/java/README_files/wsdl_extensions/ejb_extension.html

The JCA proposal defines WSDL extensions in its myEIS sample at
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-axis-wsif/proposals/jca/java/samples/myeis.rar

in the myeis.jar in the com.myeis.wsdl.extensions.j2c.myeis package

2 and 4) Early on there was an attempt to standardized the WSIF model
through the JCP/JSR process but at the time it was thought of as too
experimental, so for now there is just the Apache open source project.

3) WSIF generates a dynamic proxy from an interface so doesn't need any
stubs. WSIF doesn't yet have any tools to create WSDL or interface classes
but you can use the Axis WSDL2Java and Java2WSDL tools to do some of the
work for you then manually make any changes required for WSIF. For example
you can use WSDL2Java to create the complex type and interface classes from
some WSDL that WSIF can then use with any WSIF binding. However WSDL2Java
requires the WSDL include a SOAP binding for this to work. Conversly you
can use the Java2WSDL tool to generate WSDL with a SOAP binding from a Java
class, then manually add any other WSIF bindings you require. Making these
tools more WSIF friendly is something we still need to do.

       ...ant

Anthony Elder
ant.elder@uk.ibm.com
Web Services Development
IBM UK Laboratories,  Hursley Park
(+44) 01962 818320, x248320, MP208.

thomas.cherel@ascentialsoftware.com on 30/10/2002 15:31:20

To:    axis-dev@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:    RE: [WSIF] [PROPOSAL]Additional contribution ... JCA (J2C)
       provid     er

I checked quickly on http://alphaworks.ibm.com without finding any
documentation about the JCA provider for WSIF.
Any idea where I can find that?

We are currently creating an application (J2EE application with embedded
Axis) to allow an end user to expose some pieces of our existing
application(s) as Web Service (the J2EE application will create new Web
Services). So far, only SOAP over HTTP is supported, but we start getting
some request for a java interface which is not going through HTTP and the
SOAP marshalling/unmarshalling. We are currently considering some type of
EJB interface to the service.

We are starting to seriously consider the use of WSIF to generalize the
idea but I am trying to understand the scope of WSIF and if anyone else is
doing similar things that I should look at, if this is something that will
be standardized at some point.

Here is a first set of questions I am trying to answer. Any help will be
appreciated.

1) When writing a new WSIF provider, does is also mean defining the
corresponding WSDL extension (like the EJB ones that I saw in Axis
documentation)? This is why I wanted to get some documentation on the JCA
provider to see if it defines this part as well.

2) If WSIF implies WSDL extensions, who (if anyone) is working/pushing to
have those extensions standardized? Any vendors?

3) Does implementing a WSIF provider also mean the creating of some type of
tool like WSDL2Java (or may be an update to this tool) to understand the
WSDL extensions and generate the client and/or server stubs/skeleton?

4) WSIF is a pure Axis/alphaworks project so far. Any actions to make it
some kind of a standard?

Some of those questions might not make too much sense as I am just starting
to educate myself on WSIF.

Thomas