Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2001/12/05 11:26:25 UTC

Re: Use of org.apache.avalon.excalibur.naming.*

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:26, Leo Sutic wrote:
> The org.apache.avalon.excalibur.naming package does not contain any
> interfaces that extends Component(and thus no components).
>
> Is this by design

yep by design. Low coupling and all that.

> or with hope that there will be an
>
> interface org.apache.avalon.excalibur.naming.NamingProvider extends
> Component {
>     Context getInitialContext () throws NamingException;
> }
>
> or similar?

That could be implemented easily enough. I guess the question is what is the
component doing. If it is just a lightweight wrapper then it may aswell be
contained in the application that uses the code.

A few people have asked for more useful InitialContextFactory but as of yet
this hasn't been done - but even if it was done it could be done without
referencing framework.

--
Cheers,

Pete