Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alok Bhandari <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 09:11:13 UTC

Solr grouping performace

Hello ,
I need some functionality for which I found that grouping is the most suited
feature. I want to know about performance issue associated with it. On some
posts I found that performance is  an bottleneck but want to know that if I
am having 3  million records with 0.5 million distinct values for
group.value then can I expect results to return in 2-3 seconds? the grouping
field is an "int" , also I want only one filed for a document. I can afford
t use upto 4GB RAM.

Re: Solr grouping performace

Posted by Paul Masurel <pa...@gmail.com>.
Collapsing is not that slow actually. With a high number of groups,
you may just have to let group.ngroups set to false.

If you need to get the overall number of groups, you may have
to patch lucene.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3972?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13709974#comment-13709974
Martijn patch for instance may work ok for your range of values.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM, Alok Bhandari <
alokomprakashbhandari@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello ,
> I need some functionality for which I found that grouping is the most
> suited
> feature. I want to know about performance issue associated with it. On some
> posts I found that performance is  an bottleneck but want to know that if I
> am having 3  million records with 0.5 million distinct values for
> group.value then can I expect results to return in 2-3 seconds? the
> grouping
> field is an "int" , also I want only one filed for a document. I can afford
> t use upto 4GB RAM.

 Masurel Paul
 e-mail: paul.masurel@gmail.com