Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by zagreus <ds...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/08 15:57:03 UTC

Old unexpired messages not delivered; new messages are

Hi,

We have an ActiveMQ instance (version 4.1.1) in production, exhibiting the
following behaviour: There is a backlog of 1000 messages in the queue that
are not being delivered. However, new messages *are* being delivered. For
example: If 3 new messages are posted to the queue, we see that the queue
size grows to 1003, the messages are delivered to the client, and the queue
size shrinks back to 1000. Those 1000 messages just are not being delivered.

I thought maybe the messages were somehow "corrupted". To test this, I made
a copy of the ActiveMQ data directory and ran another instance of ActiveMQ
with that data. The messages flew off the queue, so that tells me there is
nothing wrong with the messages themselves. I'm guessing that our ActiveMQ
in production will require a restart in order to get these 1000 messages
delivered. Has anyone seen this issue before? What could be causing it?

Your help is urgently requested.

Re: Old unexpired messages not delivered; new messages are

Posted by Mario Siegenthaler <ms...@inventsoft.ch>.
Hi
We once had the same issue (also with 4.1.1) and then discovered that
the messages were assigned to some consumer that basically crashed but
was still connected to the broker. Since 1000 messages is the default
prefetch size for a queue this might also be your problem. In JMX you
can see the consumers consuming from a certain queue (though it's a
bit of work to find out) and then you can just restart this one
instead of the whole broker.
Possibly you don't even need to do this since you know all the
consumers anyway.. so my advice is to check for 'crashed' consumers
and restart them (or have the broker disconnect them).

Mario