Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by John Glorioso <jg...@zitego.com> on 2004/10/05 02:19:59 UTC

weird TOP err in pop server

I am trying to figure out a problem using James' pop server. I realized the
problem when attempting to retrieve a message through javamail using James.
Basically, when a call was made to the MimeMessage's getHeaderLines method,
it would freeze up. So, I dug deeper and telneted directly to port 110 and
issued a TOP command to see what the heck was being returned that java might
choke on. The headers were returned as expected, but instead of the "."
finalizer at the end, I saw the message "-ERR Error while retrieving
message." after the last header line in its place.

I started looking into the POP3Handler class to see what would cause that
and it issues that if there is an IOException or a MessagingException. The
RETR command works fine and does not report any errors. I checked the
headers and the message body and although it is spam (even though
SpamAssassin doesn't think so), it does not appear to be abnormal formatted
that I can see. I am using James-2.2.0RC2. For convenience, I have pasted
the results of the TOP and RETR commands below. If anyone can lead me in a
direction which might explain why TOP is returning an error, I would greatly
appreciate it. I assume that is what javamail is choking on, though why it
would freeze rather then just puke, I can't understand.

TOP Results (I replaced email and server names with "REMOVED"):
+OK Message follows
From: REMOVED REMOVED <REMOVED>
To: <REMOVED>
Subject: Kristi Today's Morning Pick, UACP! jkemdh
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:00:36 -0500

-ERR Error while retrieving message.

RETR Results (I replaced email and server names with "REMOVED"):
+OK Message follows
From: REMOVED REMOVED <REMOVED>
To: <REMOVED>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:00:36 -0500

UACP</p><p>Breaking News: UACP uAuthorize Corporation Announces Global VOIP
Development- This will be hot issue</p><p>Significant short term trading
benefits in UACP are being expected set to explode from Monday untill
Wednesday</p> <p>Watch out for it . Jump on board while this stock is
:1.66</p>
Although some would argue that VoIP is still maturing, corporate users are
extremely interested in implementing the technology, creating exponential
growth. Within the last four years, VoIP minutes increased from less than
0.5 to 2 percent of outbound international calls, according to research from
TeleGeography. Additionally, predictions as to the size of the market itself
vary, with Allied Business Intelligence projecting the VoIP market to grow
from $3.7 billion in 2000 to $12.3 billion in 2006 and Synergy Research
projecting the VoIP equipment market to grow to 13.3 billion by 2005.</p>
acquires multiple websites, software titles, and e-commerce solutions that
leverage the Internet to maximize the success of e-business operations.
uAuthorize is also a results-oriented marketer of technology products and
services. Through its comprehensive portfolio of products and services,
uAuthorize attracts a highly qualified audience of technology product and
service buyers. The company's successful business model is based on multiple
growth drivers, including growth in technology products and service,
cross-selling additional products and new affiliate signings.</p>
traditional brick-and-mortar businesses into successful e-commerce
companies. To accomplish this, the company has and will continue to
aggressively acquire concepts and  developed clickand-mortar businesses.
These properties are then incubated further capitalized and developed) as a
value-added method to strengthen marketability. </p> <p>Just In: NEWS
Released wednesday after the close</p>
Okla., Sep 17, 2004 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- uAuthorize Corporation Pink
Sheets:UACP, a global Internet marketer of business and Internet solutions,
  announced today that its Internet technologies division is completing
development of a global Voice-Over-IP Service aimed at multinational callers
using the power of the Internet to place phone calls through its software.
multiple country Web sites in multi-language translations. The software will
allow prepaid users to place calls using stand alone software or browser
integrated plug-ins, and compression technology to solve latency problems
that have plagued other VOIP solutions. Initial tests are scheduled to begin
in the third quarter of this year and it is expected that a number of Web
sites supporting the product will be launched in the United States,
Australia, Russia, Japan, the United Kingdom, and many more countries during
2005. </p>
publications
  this week and be very heavily promoted so now is the best time to get in
because it will go crazy all week, starting Tuesday. So don't miss out get
solicitation or an invitation to get pos. ition in or sell any se. curity
mentioned he. rein. This newsl. etter is neither a regis. tered inve, stment
advisor nor affi. liated with any br. oker or dea. ler. All statements made
are our ex. press opinion only and should be trea. ted as such. We m. ay
own, take pos. ition and sell a. ny secu. r. ities ment. ioned at any time.
This report includes fo rwa. rd lo. oking statem. ents within the meaning of
The Pr. ivate Se. curities Litig. ation R. efo, rm A. ct of 1. 9. 95. This
newsletter was paid 5, 00 0 from third p. arty to s. end this re. port. </p>
ACP
  shares p. rior to the publi. cation of t. his report. Be aware of an inh.
erent co. nflict of int. erest resulting from suc. h holdings du. e to our
intent to pro. fit from the li. quidation of th. ese s. hares. Sh. ares may
be sold at any time, even after po. sitive stat. ements have been made
regar. ding the above com. pany. Since we own s. hares, there is an inherent
conflict of interest in our state. ments and opinions. Read. ers of this pu.
blication are cautioned not to place undue reliance on for. ward-looking st.
atem, ents, which are ba. sed on certain assumptions and expe. ctations
involving various r. isks and uncertainties, that could cause results to
differ mate. rially from those set fo. rth in the forw. ard- lo. oking
state. ments. </p>

.