Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bryan Zimmer <ba...@baz-tech.com> on 2002/03/04 20:04:32 UTC

Newbie needs config help for tomcat4

Hello all,

Here's the setup:

I have been running Apache 1.3 and recently decided to switch to JSP from
CGI. So I downloaded tomcat-4.0.1. I use Linux, so I found an RPM-format
distribution of tomcat4.

I need to learn how to deploy my own JSP's, which I haven't been able to do
yet.

I can run the examples that come with Tomcat4. I managed to find the
"webapp.so" module and enough other information about configuration that,
after modifying my httpd.conf file and creating a "WarpConnection" through
port 8008, I could run the test programs in the examples folder (mine is at
/var/tomcat4/webapps/examples, aliased to "/examples/") . I installed all
this on my test server.

I can now browse to http://(my.server.name)/examples/ and run the JSP
examples.I do not have to specify the port as 8008.

Now I want to install and test some of my own JSP's, but I can't find
documentation on how to do this. I have a book, "JSP and Java, A Complete
Guide to Website Development", by Art Taylor, but it focuses on Tomcat
version 3. So I haven't even been able to deploy a simple JSP example.

Can someone help me with this? I have plans to put Apache and Tomcat into a
production environment, and I wonder if I need to revert back to Tomcat
version 3. I need either some configuration advice on how to deploy my own
JSP or perhaps someone can recommend a good book or on-line tutorial on the
subject.

I considered a newer Tomcat, but starting with 4.0.2 they seem to require
the experimental Apache version 2. And I can't tell whether to use the
webapp.so module or mod_jk.so.

All help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan Zimmer
baz@baz-tech.com

Re: Newbie needs config help for tomcat4

Posted by Galbayar <ga...@mobicom.mn>.
create your context on the Tomcat and add to httpd.conf
WebAppDeploy youralais conn /yourcontext

this line