Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net> on 2006/10/30 14:15:20 UTC

question re. SPF checks

Hi Folks,

I starting to set up SPF records for the domains I manage, and have run
into a little snag.  I hope somebody can suggest an approach:

BASIC CONFIGURATION:
Debian Sarge
Postfix (from stable - so it's a relatively old version, 2.1 I believe)
amavisd-new
spamassassin
clamav
Postfix configured with postfix-tls (SASL) but only for MD-5
authentication of incoming SMTP

For the most part, I use the machine as a list server (Sympa) and web
host, but I also have three email accounts on the box.

The listserver, and one of the email accounts, originate mail on the
host (the email account, using pine) - so, for SPF purposes, the
envelope sender is always the server, and all works just fine.

But... for the other two email accounts, mail originates from desktop
clients (Thunderbird).  And here's the rub:
- I want to apply virus and spam checks to incoming mail, but...
- for SPF purposes, the envelope sender is now the dynamic IP of the
desktop clients, so it's hard/impossible to put that in the SPF record
- so, mail submitted from desktop clients is getting marked as failing
the SPF check

So... is there a way to turn off SPF checks for mail coming from
authenticated clients, without turning off all the other checks (as, for
example, would happen if mail was submitted via port 587)?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman

Re: question re. SPF checks

Posted by Miles Fidelman <mf...@meetinghouse.net>.
Well ok... if you want to pick nits :-)

I guess I should have said:

The listserver, and one of the email accounts, originate mail on the
host (the email account, using pine) - so, for SPF purposes, the mail
comes from an IP address listed in the SPF record for the domain in the
envelop sender, and all works just fine.

But... for the other two email accounts, mail originates from desktop
clients (Thunderbird).  And here's the rub:
- I want to apply virus and spam checks to incoming mail, but...
- for SPF purposes, the incoming mail comes from the dynamic IP of the
desktop client, so it's hard/impossible to set up an SPF record to match
that IP (unless one wants to pass the check for, say, all email coming
from the broad range of IP addresses used by the local Comcast broadband
service)
- so, mail submitted from desktop clients is getting marked as failing
the SPF check

In any case, I've since received some answers about how to set up
postfix to treat mail from authenticated clients differently that solves
my problem.

Miles

Re: question re. SPF checks

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.