Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Williams, James P2 (N-USA)" <ja...@lmco.com> on 2010/06/29 19:12:05 UTC

Ambiguity In AuthzSVNAccessFile Permissions

I'm unclear what directory permissions mean in my AuthzSVNAccessFile.  For example,

   [/]
   goober = rw
   * = r

   [/trunk]
   tuber = rw
   goober = r

who has permissions to create /trunk in this case?  I want it to be goober, which is why I gave him rw in /.  However, the read-only permissions he has in /trunk seem to also prevent his ability to create /trunk.  Basically, I want him to be able to create the toplevel directories, like /trunk, but not edit their contents.  Am I specifying it correctly?  As written, the "svn mkdir" fails.

Thanks,

Jim

RE: Ambiguity In AuthzSVNAccessFile Permissions

Posted by "Williams, James P2 (N-USA)" <ja...@lmco.com>.
I found svnperms.py and a sample configuration file under tools/hook-scripts with Subversion 1.6.2.  Alternatively, I can also bypass the Apache server with file:// URLs when I run the "svn mkdir" that creates these toplevel directories at repository setup.  That'll probably be what I do since a hook script seems like a sledge hammer on a thumbtack here.  These "odd" permissions I'm after will matter only at repository setup.

Posted by Rob van Oostrum <rv...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Williams, James P2 (N-USA) <
james.p2.williams@lmco.com> wrote:

>  I’m unclear what directory permissions mean in my AuthzSVNAccessFile.
> For example,
>

>    [/]
>
>    goober = rw
>
>    * = r
>

>    [/trunk]
>
>    tuber = rw
>
>    goober = r
>

> who has permissions to create /trunk in this case?  I want it to be goober,
> which is why I gave him rw in /.  However, the read-only permissions he has
> in /trunk seem to also prevent his ability to create /trunk.  Basically, I
> want him to be able to create the toplevel directories, like /trunk, but not
> edit their contents.  Am I specifying it correctly?  As written, the “svn
> mkdir” fails.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Jim

You can't get the behavior you're looking for using authz. You can configure
"create but not modify" permissions with svnperms.py which used to be part
of contrib. Couldn't tell you where it went since I last used it. Probably
someone else here knows.

-Rob