Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dan Tarkenton <ta...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/11 23:44:49 UTC

Can we 'hot swap' the struts-config.xml?

Is it possible, with an instance of a struts 1.0 webapp running in tomcat, to re-initialize the struts-config.xml while the application is still up?

I say this because it would be great if I could edit the struts-config.xml as an admin of my site without disrupting the webapp and any potential end users of the webapp.

I worry about synchronization issues.  Thoughts?

Re: Can we 'hot swap' the struts-config.xml?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Dan Tarkenton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:44:49 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Dan Tarkenton <ta...@yahoo.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Can we 'hot swap' the struts-config.xml?
>
> Is it possible, with an instance of a struts 1.0 webapp running in
> tomcat, to re-initialize the struts-config.xml while the application is
> still up?
>  I say this because it would be great if I could edit the
> struts-config.xml as an admin of my site without disrupting the webapp
> and any potential end users of the webapp.
>
> I worry about synchronization issues.  Thoughts?

In Struts 1.0, it was possible to configure an Action that told Struts to
reload the struts-config.xml file for a running app.  This is no longer
true in Struts 1.1 for several reasons:

* The Struts 1.0 approach required all accesses to the configuration
  information to be synchronized, which slowed down performance for
  everyone (the vast majority of people don't need dynamic reloads).

* The Struts 1.0 approach re-reads the config file, but it does *not*
  reload any recompiled classes.  That is something that is totally
  out of the control of Struts -- you should use the application reload
  facilities of your web application instead (for Tomcat, see the
  documentation on the "Manager Webapp").

Craig