Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/16 08:15:09 UTC

How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Dear All,

I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
to configure multiple reduce jobs?

--Ashish

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Yes, you need to manually set it. Please see the API at
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable2/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/JobConf.html#setNumReduceTasks(int)

--
Harsh J

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

RE: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by German Florez-Larrahondo <ge...@samsung.com>.
Yong

The simple explanation is that a Java application  is not just limited by
the heap size.

As an example, Tom White’s Hadoop The Definitive Guide, page 323: the job’s
own memory also includes native libraries, Java’s permgen space, etc.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Wu_xeGdU4G8C
<http://books.google.com/books?id=Wu_xeGdU4G8C&pg=PA645&lpg=PA645&dq=mapredu
ce.map.java.opts++hadoop+the+definitive+guide&source=bl&ots=i7BVYDRcSv&sig=e
ZIrK5DfjFYUSncaNR7m1-Ao5Mo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=A1DZUs_8H7OksQTTrYCYBw&ved=0CCgQ6AE
wAA#v=onepage&q=mapreduce.map.java.opts%20%20hadoop%20the%20definitive%20gui
de&f=false>
&pg=PA645&lpg=PA645&dq=mapreduce.map.java.opts++hadoop+the+definitive+guide&
source=bl&ots=i7BVYDRcSv&sig=eZIrK5DfjFYUSncaNR7m1-Ao5Mo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=A1DZU
s_8H7OksQTTrYCYBw&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mapreduce.map.java.opts%20%20h
adoop%20the%20definitive%20guide&f=false

I encourage you to read more about memory management on Java applications
(not specifically for Hadoop).

Regards

./g

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:28 +0530
From: sudhakara.st@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Also check this
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/11/migrating-to-mapreduce-2-on-yarn-for-o
perators/

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Silvina Caíno Lores <si...@gmail.com>

Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at yarn-site.xml
and mapred-site.xml, check THIS
<http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/>  to
understand how resource management works.

Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited to
the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have set.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Silvina

On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will
spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
to configure multiple reduce jobs?

--Ashish

...Sudhakara.st

...Sudhakara.st

RE: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:28 +0530
From: sudhakara.st@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:28 +0530
From: sudhakara.st@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:28 +0530
From: sudhakara.st@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 15:16:28 +0530
From: sudhakara.st@gmail.com
To: user@hadoop.apache.org

Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at yarn-site.xml and mapred-site.xml, check THIS to understand how resource management works.

Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited to the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have set.

Hope it helps.

Regards,Silvina

On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear All,

I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8 data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way to configure multiple reduce jobs?

--Ashish

--

Regards,...Sudhakara.st

--

Regards,...Sudhakara.st

RE: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Also check this

<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at
> yarn-site.xml and mapred-site.xml, check THIS<http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/>to understand how resource management works.
>
> Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited
> to the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have
> set.
>
> Hope it helps.
> Regards,
> Silvina
>

> On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Ashish,
>>
>> Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducerwill spawn that many for a job.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have
>>> 8 data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
>>> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
>>> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>>>
>>> --Ashish
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> ...Sudhakara.st

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Also check this

<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at
> yarn-site.xml and mapred-site.xml, check THIS<http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/>to understand how resource management works.
>
> Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited
> to the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have
> set.
>
> Hope it helps.
> Regards,
> Silvina
>

> On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Ashish,
>>
>> Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducerwill spawn that many for a job.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have
>>> 8 data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
>>> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
>>> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>>>
>>> --Ashish
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> ...Sudhakara.st

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Also check this

<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at
> yarn-site.xml and mapred-site.xml, check THIS<http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/>to understand how resource management works.
>
> Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited
> to the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have
> set.
>
> Hope it helps.
> Regards,
> Silvina
>

> On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Ashish,
>>
>> Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducerwill spawn that many for a job.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have
>>> 8 data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
>>> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
>>> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>>>
>>> --Ashish
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> ...Sudhakara.st

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Also check this

<si...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Also, you should be limited by your container configuration at
> yarn-site.xml and mapred-site.xml, check THIS<http://hortonworks.com/blog/how-to-plan-and-configure-yarn-in-hdp-2-0/>to understand how resource management works.
>
> Basically you can set the number of reducers you want but you are limited
> to the number the system can actually hold by the configuration you have
> set.
>
> Hope it helps.
> Regards,
> Silvina
>

> On 16 January 2014 08:54, sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Ashish,
>>
>> Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducerwill spawn that many for a job.
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have
>>> 8 data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
>>> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
>>> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>>>
>>> --Ashish
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Regards,
>> ...Sudhakara.st

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Silvina Caíno Lores <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Silvina Caíno Lores <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Silvina Caíno Lores <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Silvina Caíno Lores <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will
spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
> data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>
> --Ashish

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will
spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
> data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>
> --Ashish

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will
spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
> data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>
> --Ashish

...Sudhakara.st

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: How to configure multiple reduce jobs in hadoop 2.2.0

Posted by sudhakara st <su...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ashish,

Using “-D mapreduce.job.reduces=number” with fixed number of reducer will
spawn that many for a job.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Ashish Jain <as...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a 3 node cluster and have a map reduce job running on it. I have 8
> data blocks spread across all the 3 nodes. While running map reduce job I
> could see 8 map tasks running however reduce job is only 1. Is there a way
> to configure multiple reduce jobs?
>
> --Ashish

...Sudhakara.st