Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2017/09/15 18:03:27 UTC

[VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 Release Candidate is available

The first release candidate for HBase 2.0.0-alpha-3 is up at:

  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3RC0/

Maven artifacts are available from a staging directory here:

  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1175

All was signed with my key at y 8ACC93D2
<http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x9816C7FC8ACC93D2>

I tagged the RC as
2.0.0-alpha-3RC0.2 (a5c8461ca87d6324f16ffd126b765146fdd5315a)

hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 is our third alpha release on our march toward an
hbase-2.0.0. It includes all that was in previous alphas (new assignment
manager, offheap read/write path, in-memory compactions, etc.), but had a
focus on polishing our public API: old API that had been deprecated since
hbase-1.0.0 or before was purged and new API was added with sympathetic
deprecation of the previous. Along the Admin plane, incompatible changes
were unavoidable; you will not be able to administer a hbase2 cluster using
an hbase1 client (see adjacent "[DISCUSS] hbase-2.0.0 compatibility
expectations" thread for discussion and see [1] for current list of
Incompatibles).

What is here will be our public API for 2.0.0 unless we get pushback from
our gracious downstreamers. Please try it out. Shout now if you find a
problem so we can fix it before we get to beta.

Alpha-3 does not have the final version of our Coprocessor API. Finishing
the Coprocessor API for hbase-2.0.0 is the topic of our last planned alpha,
2.0.0-alpha-4. The Coprocessor API changes pretty radically in hbase-2.0.0
(though Coprocessor Endpoints will continue to work across an upgrade). See
[2] for why and why it was unavoidable. Input now from Coprocessor API
users before alpha-4 would be especially effective (I've cc'd our Phoenix
brothers and sisters toward this end).

hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3RC0 is a rough cut ('alpha'), not-for-production preview
of what hbase-2.0.0 will look like. It is meant for devs and downstreamers
to test drive and flag us early if we messed up anything ahead of our
rolling GAs.

The list of features addressed in 2.0.0 so far can be found here [3]. There
are about 2700+. The list of ~500 fixes in 2.0.0 exclusively can be found
here [3].

I've updated our overview doc. on the state of 2.0.0 [6] but JIRA 2.0.0
label [5] has undergone extensive weeding and presents a fairly good
picture on what is yet to do before we 2.0.0. Check it out.

Please take it for a spin and vote on whether it ok to put out as our first
alpha (bar is low for an 'alpha'). Let the VOTE be open for 72 hours
(Sunday)

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. Current list of Incompatibles:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/edit#heading=h.723jjn18p2jr
2. Why CPs are Incompatible:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/edit#heading=h.9k7mjbauv0wj
3. goo.gl/Gcrp4f
4. goo.gl/6dPqzG
5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12327188
6.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/

Re: [VOTE] First hbase-2.0.0-alpha-3 Release Candidate is available

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
+1

Sums and signatures are ok. That's as far as I got.

LTT is my go to test so normally if it fails I'd veto but this is an alpha
release. Also, several unit tests are failing, so I don't get a good build,
but it's an alpha release so I won't veto on that account either
(especially).

> (all of the above found via recursive diff between unpacking source
tarball and checkout of tag)

This is a good idea I'll have to remember for next time. 'mvn
apache-rat:check' doesn't catch these issues.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- verified signature
- verified checksum
- checked licenses
- built from source on tag 2.0.0-alpha-3RC0.2
- build hbase from src tarball
- checked UI
- basic functionalities of hbase shell

Posted by Peter Somogyi <ps...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Yi Liang <ea...@gmail.com>.
you can put it in alpha-4

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 10:48 PM, Yi Liang <ea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stack
>    Could you include changes in HBASE-18803
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18803> in alpha-3. That patch
> can make most mapreduce jobs like export/import works. Thanks

Can I put it in alpha-4? I'm thinking alpha-4 is a week, probably two, out?

Or you feel that alpha-3 is not scrutable w/o this patch? That we need it
for folks to evaluate what is in alpha-3?

Thanks Yi Liang,
St.Ack

Posted by Yi Liang <ea...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stack

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Stack! I have created HBASE-18832 to track LTT exception. We can
include the fix in next release. Everything else looks good.

Considering alpha release I vote +1.

Thanks,
Umesh

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.
-1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

* Build from src
* Can run pseudo-dist standalone with built software
* XSums/Sigs OK

- Josh

Posted by Umesh Agashe <ua...@cloudera.com>.
-1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Thanks all for the wonderful votes. I need another PMC'er for the vote to
pass...