Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by OpenWhisk Team Slack <ra...@apache.org> on 2010/01/01 00:01:01 UTC

[slack-digest] [2022-06-01] #general

2022-06-01 17:50:47 UTC - Brendan Doyle: Just wanted to open a discussion about the new scheduler. It's very optimized towards short running requests i.e. few milliseconds. However if there are very long running functions i.e. 10+ seconds then it scales out very quickly since the container throughput calculation is just going to be that it needs a new container for each added level of concurrency, this obviously is a very miniscule amount of faas use cases but it's supported nonetheless. These use cases are much more async then the normal use case of sync responses expected in a reasonable http request time of a few milliseconds so some latency to wait for available space should be much more acceptable. For example if a function takes 10 seconds to run, the user of that function won't really care if it has to wait 2-3 seconds for available space, and both the namespace and operator would likely prefer latency over uncontrolled fan out of concurrency. The problem imo is that the activation staleness value is constant for all function types (currently 100ms). 100ms definitely makes sense for anything that runs within a second, but do we think that we could make this value dynamic to what the average duration is for that function? Or if I'm on the right track here on how we could potentially control fan out of long running functions and prefer latency over fan out?
https://openwhisk-team.slack.com/archives/C3TPCAQG1/p1654105847846179?thread_ts=1654105847.846179&cid=C3TPCAQG1
----