Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com> on 2007/07/30 16:12:01 UTC

JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

There are two new JSRs for Java EE -

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=317

http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=318

I plan to vote "no" as Sun is the spec lead.

Comments?

geir

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 31, 2007, at 1:18 AM, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I haven't really had the time to follow the whole of the
> discussion, but I believe that the vote 'no to Sun-led JSRs'
> strategy is the correct one for the foreseeable future. Sun have
> broken their JSPA agreement, knowing we can't sue.

Correction: we can sue, and would probably win such a suit, but we
choose
not to for a variety of reasons (one of the main ones being that it is
difficult to have a dialog once a lawsuit is engaged).  Personally,
I'd rather burn the JCP to the ground than bother the legal system with
something so inane as Sun's spineless decisions -- we have better things
to do.

....Roy

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Paraphrased, the ASF position is that we have no problem with
>> communities forming around commercial implementations, or around
>> non-open source licenses, or around open or free licenses other than
>> our own, or around the Apache License, Version 2.0 at places other
>> than the ASF.
>
> This is not as much a position, but rather common sense. Why would
> we have a problem with whatever other people are doing? The
> question here is whether it is beneficial for the Foundation to
> participate in a given community (JCP in this case).

I think that our participation in the JCP is beneficial, assuming we
get this problem w/ Sun squared away.  Our years of engagement have
shown that, IMO.

Our FOU problem is a big test for the JCP - will it be able to govern
itself to the degree that it can?

>> But, and this is a key but, at the ASF we only nurture communities
>> that release software under the Apache License.  From time to time,
>> I've seen that position labeled as 'ideological', coupled with calls
>> for us to 'be pragmatic'.
>
> I thought of Andrew's "subfree" email as a provocation (maybe with
> the goal to point to the futility of the current JCP fight, and
> turn it towards JCP withdrawal route? I don't know). I am really
> hoping that "subfree" is not up for serious discussion, otherwise
> it will be a very sad turn of events at the Foundation.

I didn't take it seriously.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2007, at 5:17 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Paraphrased, the ASF position is that we have no problem with
> communities forming around commercial implementations, or around
> non-open source licenses, or around open or free licenses other than
> our own, or around the Apache License, Version 2.0 at places other
> than the ASF.

This is not as much a position, but rather common sense. Why would we
have a problem with whatever other people are doing? The question
here is whether it is beneficial for the Foundation to participate in
a given community (JCP in this case).

> But, and this is a key but, at the ASF we only nurture communities
> that release software under the Apache License.  From time to time,
> I've seen that position labeled as 'ideological', coupled with calls
> for us to 'be pragmatic'.

I thought of Andrew's "subfree" email as a provocation (maybe with
the goal to point to the futility of the current JCP fight, and turn
it towards JCP withdrawal route? I don't know). I am really hoping
that "subfree" is not up for serious discussion, otherwise it will be
a very sad turn of events at the Foundation.

Andrus

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On 8/1/07, Andrew C. Oliver <ac...@buni.org> wrote:
> unlabeled, but roughly the same is better?

I will note that we haven't done that.  Every code base from the ASF
has been released under an Apache License.  Harmony was created in
good faith with the belief that it, too, could be released under the
Apache License, Version 2.0.  This good faith was based on the fact
that we have a signed contract that states that we could do exactly
that.

In the past, we have had issues with Sun over T's and C's.  Each time
in the past these issues had been resolved to our satisfaction.  We
had no expectation that this time would be any different.

> Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 00:40 -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> >
> >> pretend it is open source?  I  just don't see it.  The compromise road
> >> of just creating an admitted project of notquiteopensource.apache.org
> >> seems a lot more pragmatic than playing "let's make lawyers rich and
> >
> > You can repeat this over and over again until you are blue in your face,
> > but this is not going to happen. Ever.

We do have a dilemma that we need to face head on, and I think Andy
has been doing a good job of pointing it out.

Paraphrased, the ASF position is that we have no problem with
communities forming around commercial implementations, or around
non-open source licenses, or around open or free licenses other than
our own, or around the Apache License, Version 2.0 at places other
than the ASF.

But, and this is a key but, at the ASF we only nurture communities
that release software under the Apache License.  From time to time,
I've seen that position labeled as 'ideological', coupled with calls
for us to 'be pragmatic'.

We can't have it both ways.

Sun is busy on OpenJDK.  Those that are waiting on Sun to provide us
what the contract that they signed said that they would are also "blue
in the face".  This month, the conflict will enter into its second
year.  We are in a war without an exit strategy.  As unpopular as it
might be, we need to establish a timetable for withdrawal.

> >       Best regards
> >               Henning

- Sam Ruby

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <aa...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 00:40 -0400, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>> pretend it is open source?  I  just don't see it.  The compromise
>> road
>> of just creating an admitted project of notquiteopensource.apache.org
>> seems a lot more pragmatic than playing "let's make lawyers rich and
>
> You can repeat this over and over again until you are blue in your
> face,
> but this is not going to happen. Ever.
>
> 	Best regards
> 		Henning

Exactly.

Andrus

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.
So the wealth and wellbeing of all of apache, all of the other projects,
etc should be put at risk to fund a lawsuit (you do realize these cost a
lot of money), so that you can continue to play in sun's backyard and
pretend it is open source?  I  just don't see it.  The compromise road
of just creating an admitted project of notquiteopensource.apache.org
seems a lot more pragmatic than playing "let's make lawyers rich and
loose lots of income in the process"..  I just don't think the
implementation of Sunstards (not an actual standard but a sun's special
standards board "standard") is more important than HTTPD or Ant or
everything else to put Apache in the financial risk that a lawsuit would
put it in.  That's just me.

Ideally Apache will outlive the JCP and Java by a number of years.

-andy

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <ro...@apache.org>.
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I believe that the vote 'no to Sun-led JSRs' strategy is the correct one
> for the foreseeable future. Sun have broken their JSPA agreement,
> knowing we can't sue. This is currently our best course of action,
> however we do need to determine what our next strategy is if this one
> fails to succeed.

I believe the technical term is "exit strategy". I agree with you
that the VNTS-JSRs strategy is the best for now, but also with Andy's
assessment that this strategy is basically ineffective. Either other
participants of the JCP put pressure on Sun, or this situation will
not be resolved at all.
It's taken two months of discussion to get to this temporary strategy,
it will take even longer to get to the next one. Sun will have ample
time to reconsider, or not. If they do, everything's peachy. So the
discussion should focus on the other case.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@joda.org>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> There are two new JSRs for Java EE -
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=317
>
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=318
>
> I plan to vote "no" as Sun is the spec lead.

+1

I haven't really had the time to follow the whole of the discussion, but
I believe that the vote 'no to Sun-led JSRs' strategy is the correct one
for the foreseeable future. Sun have broken their JSPA agreement,
knowing we can't sue. This is currently our best course of action,
however we do need to determine what our next strategy is if this one
fails to succeed.

In addition, for any JSR we vote no on, it would be unreasonable for
Apache to lend its name to the EG. Doing so would be a form of accepting
the validity of the process. Unfortunately, this will harm some
individuals at Apache - hopefully they can join as JCP individual
members if they wish to be on the new JSR.

Finally, none of this should affect existing JSRs.

Stephen

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Roland Weber <ro...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Craig,

Could we get Sun folks to state this publicly as a response to our
Open Letter? If this is indeed the case, then why the silence, they
should be shouting this from the rooftops...no? what am i missing?

thanks,
dims

Posted by Roland Weber <ro...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> why not just go
> ahead and do that. . Change the Apache license so that it is
> incompatible with open source but compatible with Sun's terms and the
> REAL JCP?  It is a legitimate option.

Yes it is. Anyone is free to do exactly that, as long as
the result is not called an Apache license. The ASF should
not lend it's name for that.

> The majority of the people on
> those projects care more about being part of the JCP and such than
> actually being open source.

Sourceforge is their friend.

Apache stands for communities that build open source software
which is licensed under the Apache License. Not GPL, MPL, CC,
BSD, or something that is not quite open and not quite Apache.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org> wrote in message

> Huh?  I'm proposing a new ASL+FOU and say semifree.apache.org for non-open
> source JCP stuff.  In the interim the non-open source software at Apache
> can be marked as such.  Why the long dance?  This ineffective voting
> strategy can't be for Sun's benefit (bad advocacy "attack the audience")
> so it must be for an internal audience.  I'm just suggesting what if the
> ASF goes ahead and creates a special devision for not-so-open source
> stuff.  Then those that want to participate in the ASF and the JCP can do
> so without worrying about stickly things.

+1

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> Rather than taking more basically ineffective actions...why not just
> go ahead and do that. . Change the Apache license so that it is
> incompatible with open source but compatible with Sun's terms and the
> REAL JCP?  It is a legitimate option.  The majority of the people on
> those projects care more about being part of the JCP and such than
> actually being open source.
I assume you are kidding, right?  If they really feel that way then why
are the projects even at Apache?

Ralph

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@buni.org>.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 30, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Apache believes Sun is in violation of the JSPA. Sun does not.

Sun's opinion on that matter is irrelevant.  Until we have a TCK in
hand under the terms required by the JSPA, the spec lead is violating
the JSPA (because providing that TCK is a requirement of the JSPA).

> What we are looking for is to get Sun to change their behavior wrt
> licensing TCK's. I think that asking them to develop this TCK in
> the open under an open license would be a step in the direction we
> want them to take.

What good would that do?  Sun promised to do that for all JSRs they
lead.  We have that in writing.  If Sun isn't willing to adhere to
its existing commitments, then whatever additional commitments they
make are irrelevant -- habitual liars do not make good custodians.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Geir,

Apache believes Sun is in violation of the JSPA. Sun does not.

What we are looking for is to get Sun to change their behavior wrt
licensing TCK's. I think that asking them to develop this TCK in the
open under an open license would be a step in the direction we want
them to take.

Craig

On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see a Yes vote on 317 if the spec lead develops the
>> TCK in open. The TCK seems to be the major issue that Apache has
>> with the spec lead, and this would suggest that Apache's position
>> is open to discussion.
>
> The spec lead is in violation of the JSPA, IMO.  Why should they be
> able to lead any JSR?
>
> geir
>

>> Craig
>>
>> On Jul 30, 2007, at 7:12 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>>> There are two new JSRs for Java EE -
>>>
>>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=317
>>>
>>> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=318
>>>
>>> I plan to vote "no" as Sun is the spec lead.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> geir

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <ro...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> I'd like to see a Yes vote on 317 if the spec lead develops the TCK in
> open. The TCK seems to be the major issue that Apache has with the spec
> lead, and this would suggest that Apache's position is open to discussion.

The problem is that we'd need a _binding_ statement that
the license for the TCK is and will continue to be open.
We won't get that until the vote has to be cast, right?

cheers,
  Roland

Re: JSR-317 and JSR-318 Vote Today

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Jul 30, 2007, at 10:33 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> just a question.
>
> how would a NO on:
> 317
>
> effect open_jpa / cayenne ?

Dunno :)

We're not objecting for technical reasons, but simply governance/
appropriateness of spec lead.

geir

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
just a question.