Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bh...@googlemail.com> on 2014/04/28 18:39:46 UTC

Maven Checkstyle Plugin and backwards compatibility

I'm trying to see if I can fix this bug:

https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MCHECKSTYLE-228

Forgive me if I have some basic/stupid questions …

With what version of Maven does the Maven Checkstyle Plugin project aim to
have compatibility? Is maintaining backwards compatibility with Maven 2 a
goal?

The bug here seems to involve resource loading, and the plugin does some
classloader manipulation that the code comments (in
DefaultCheckstyleExecutor) indicate would be unnecessary in Maven 3.

How is backwards compatibility tested? e.g. Do I need try any changes to
the plugin out with Maven 2?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

Re: Maven Checkstyle Plugin and backwards compatibility

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Benjamin,

based on the description of this issue it looks the same challenge with
the license files and configuration files.
With MCHECKSTYLE-219/MCHECKSTYLE-225 I've rewritten the way of loading
these files, since these are just jars containing additional files for
checkstyle, not necessary required on the classpath.

To answer your question: the plugin requires Maven 2.2.1 ( see
${project.prerequisites.maven} )
This is still considered to be a valid minimum version, I don't think that
the solution for this bug requires another minimum.

Apache has a Jenkins instance with several combination of JDKs and Maven
version for testing.

For yourself: download M2.2.1 from
http://archive.apache.org/dist/maven/binaries/

And run the project as
mvn verify -Prun-its -Dinvoker.mavenHome=/path/to/apache-maven-2.2.1

thanks,

Robert