Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com> on 2005/01/29 00:21:32 UTC

Community tab on home page

Re: Community tab on home page

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to get the > Community tab to be expanded on the home
>> page as well as the > Derby tab? ...

> Does anyone know how to do this with forrest 0.6? I'm not readily
> spotting how in the forrest docs, but I'll look more closely and also
> check the forrest user mail list.

Forrest 0.6 does not support turning off collapsible menus -- I included
the post to the forrest user list at the end of this post that verified
it isn't supported (and that mentioned we can patch the skin to do what
we want).

So one option would be for somebody patch the forrest skin to what we
want. I don't have time/skills to do this. If anyone out there is
interested in doing this, please post! :-)

Another option would be to move the categories we want to always be
expanded out into separate tabs. Kevin Foster posted this suggestion to
derby-user@db.apache.org yesterday:

> ... what do people think of the idea of changing the set of tabs to
> the following:
>
>     Home    Community   Manuals   Papers   Integration
>
> I think that's there enough content and usefulness on Community and
> Integration to make them tabs in their own right.

This second option is within my skills and I'll do up a test that shows
what this would look like for review (i.e., without changing the Derby
site itself).

Any other options/suggestions/opinions?

 -jean

Reference post to user@forrest.apache.org:

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Is it possible to get the > Community tab to be expanded on the home
> page as well as the > Derby tab? I think that would be more obvious for
> people  on how to get involved, enter bugs and find the mailing lists,
> etc. The old site had both expanded, I think. The 'built by forrest'
> image being so close to the > Community doesn't help either.

Hmmmmm ... good suggestion. And, yes, the default skin in forrest 0.5.1
expanded all sections on the menu.

Does anyone know how to do this with forrest 0.6? I'm not readily
spotting how in the forrest docs, but I'll look more closely and also
check the forrest user mail list.

By the way, the Derby site is just using the default skin with default
settings, and my guess is much could be improved. Anyone should feel
free to advise.

 -jean