Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/02 16:08:14 UTC

RE: Volunteer needed: AWS Elastic Load Balancer IP Findersimplemented

Hi,

I took a look at the code, and I believe the patch needs to be enhanced.

The patch is about adding TcpDiscoveryApplicationElbIpFinder, but it also deprecates the existing TcpDiscoveryElbIpFinder
and replaces it with its copy named TcpDiscoveryClassicElbIpFinder.

I’d really prefer if the existing class were enhanced to support both classic ELB and Application ELB.
If it can’t be done, let’s  use inheritance to reduce the copypaste.
In any case, let’s avoid deprecating the existing class – I don’t think that changing the name is that important in this case.

Thanks,
Stan

Posted by uday kale <ud...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stanislav,

I agree with your suggestions. Taking a step back I realised that, as a
user of an API, I don't want to spend my time refactoring the code due to
API name changes. I need more concrete reasons to do so. I will update the
PR with the required changes, to code and java-docs, for the review.

Regards,
Uday

3) Make sure both are described and clearly distinguished at readme.io

Stan

Posted by uday kale <ud...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Regarding the name - a not-so-good name isn’t always a sufficient justification for renaming.
Public products such as Ignite have to also take into account convenience for existing users.
Even in 3.0 when we technically can break compatibility I would avoid breaking it just to
rename “ELB” to “Classic ELB”.

Also, I believe the official names Amazon uses for these technologies are ELB and ALB,
not “classic ELB” and “application ELB”.

Regarding the code - `extends TcpDiscoveryClassicElbIpFinder` doesn’t really solve it.
For example, now you have an unused loadBalancerName property in the TcpDiscoveryApplicationElbIpFinder.

Posted by uday kale <ud...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stanislav,

Posted by Dmitriy Pavlov <dp...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uday,