Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2017/12/04 20:43:42 UTC

branch-1 policy for builds against Hadoop 3.0.0

Does anyone view compilation problems against Hadoop 3.0.0 in branch-1 as a
release blocker? See HBASE-19421.

In my view
​, use of Hadoop 3 with branch-1 HBase is not something we are going to
recommend for production use for some time, and Hadoop 3.0.0 is not even GA
yet. (I know it may be close.) Therefore, builds that work with it are nice
to have, but not essential. Compilation problems found for e.g. 1.4.0 can
be fixed for subsequent release 1.4.1.

​Please speak up if you disagree.  Let's discuss this before we have a RC
vote where it may come up.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands
   - A23, Crosstalk

Re: branch-1 policy for builds against Hadoop 3.0.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Thanks Josh.

I've fixed the build so it at least compiles against Hadoop 3.0.0, and I
think that is good enough. We do not need to claim anything better than
that for branch-1.4 or branch-1 at this time.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1 not release blockers
>
> This stems from this line of thinking:
>
> * Hadoop does not dictate HBase's release schedule (except in extenuating
> circumstances)
> * HBase can't ensure compatibility against something that does not yet
> exist

Agreed.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 not release blockers