Posted to general@gump.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2005/01/28 17:24:02 UTC

[Kaffe] current issues

Hi all,

our major problem seems to be rmic ATM.  I've thrown in an
unconditional -verbose when Ant invokes rmic, maybe the verbose output
of Kaffe's rmic is going to get us further.

The new java-service-wrapper project I've added shows some interesting
additional tasks that won't work on Kaffe.  Right now it fails because
<native2ascii> is only supported on Sun VMs, but I've found
kaffe.tools.native2ascii.Native2ASCII in Kaffe's CVS and plan to adapt
the Ant task to it.

Later in the build, we'll need <javah> as well.  So far I haven't
found the Kaffe version of it, is there one?

Cheers

        Stefan
--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org> wrote:

> still having to finish off rmic tonight.

Since I've broken Ant's bootstrap on Kaffe with my native2ascii
changes and need to figure out a sensible way of making it work again,
you may take as much time as you need 8-)

Sorry

        Stefan

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I've found kaffe.tools.native2ascii.Native2ASCII in Kaffe's CVS and
> > plan to adapt the Ant task to it.
>
> This should be done now.  Dalibor, I couldn't find any class that
> looked like an imported Classpath version of it, just ping me when you
> are done, please.

Yeah, sorry about the confusion. It turned out that cp-tools doesn't have
Native2ASCII yet, so Ito will submit our implementation to GNU Classpath.

Chances are it wil be renamed by cbj to something to match GNU Classpath tools
projects naming scheme. When that happens, I'll make sure to ping you about it.

> > Later in the build, we'll need <javah> as well.
>
> Making <javah> a facade task and supporting kaffeh is next on my list
> of Ant/Kaffe Interop issues.

Thanks!

cheers,
dalibor topic,
still having to finish off rmic tonight.

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org> wrote:

>> our major problem seems to be rmic ATM.  I've thrown in an
>> unconditional -verbose when Ant invokes rmic, maybe the verbose
>> output of Kaffe's rmic is going to get us further.
>
> I'm hacking on fixing Classpath's RMIC.

Great.  Maybe running it with -verbose in Gump will help (which should
happen starting with the new build, now that I've repaired the broken
Kaffe/Ant bootstrap).

> It should be finished tonight.

Cool.

>> I've found kaffe.tools.native2ascii.Native2ASCII in Kaffe's CVS and
>> plan to adapt the Ant task to it.
>
> That would be quite cool, but I think I'll simply merge in the
> native2ascii from cp-tools (GNU Classpath tools) project tonight, so
> that you have one less legacy class name to maintain ;)

I'll see, when you are done.  Assuming the two will be command-line
compatible, supporting both of them won't hurt Ant.  There may be
people using released versions of Kaffe ;-)

> Currently, it's the native code kaffeh executable.

Is it compatible to the javah command line?  If not, I can probably
grab the man page from Kaffe's CVS tree.

> I plan to switch to cp-tools javah in java as soon as the merge with
> Classpath is finished (a few weeks).

That might be a third option to support in <javah>.  I'd prefer to
support kaffeh as well, if only for the users of current Kaffe
versions.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 29 January 2005 01:26, Dalibor Topic wrote:
>
>> I'm hacking on fixing Classpath's RMIC. I've got it mostly working
>> in my local tree, but had to do some hacking on the Kaffe build
>> system last week in between :(
>
> I am not sure if this has any importance at all,

I don't think it has 8-)

Kaffe ships with its own implementation of rmic and Ant is well aware
of this (and supports it).  Recently Kaffe has switched from a
home-grown rmic to the version built by the Classpath project.  Ant
now supports this as well.  This Classpath version fails to work right
now and Dalibor is trying to fix it.

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 29 January 2005 01:26, Dalibor Topic wrote:

> I'm hacking on fixing Classpath's RMIC. I've got it mostly working in my
>  local
> tree, but had to do some hacking on the Kaffe build system last week in
> between :(

I am not sure if this has any importance at all, but I thought I should
mention it.

A problem for an RMI user came up on the mailing list, and was later solved to
that it was not the Sun JDK's rmic being called.
In that thread, the Sun engineered mentioned that the exception thrown could
not happen, since rmic does not load the classes and instead uses an internal
class inspection mechanism, also present in javac.

Beginning of thread is available here;
http://archives.java.sun.com/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0501&L=rmi-users&F=&S=&P=844

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [Kaffe] current issues

Posted by Dalibor Topic <ro...@kaffe.org>.
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig <at> apache.org> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> our major problem seems to be rmic ATM.  I've thrown in an
> unconditional -verbose when Ant invokes rmic, maybe the verbose output
> of Kaffe's rmic is going to get us further.

I'm hacking on fixing Classpath's RMIC. I've got it mostly working in my
 local
tree, but had to do some hacking on the Kaffe build system last week in
between :(

It should be finished tonight.

> The new java-service-wrapper project I've added shows some interesting
> additional tasks that won't work on Kaffe.  Right now it fails because
> <native2ascii> is only supported on Sun VMs, but I've found
> kaffe.tools.native2ascii.Native2ASCII in Kaffe's CVS and plan to adapt
> the Ant task to it.

That would be quite cool, but I think I'll simply merge in the native2ascii
 from cp-tools (GNU Classpath tools) project tonight, so that you have one
less
legacy class name to maintain ;)

> Later in the build, we'll need <javah> as well.  So far I haven't
> found the Kaffe version of it, is there one?

Currently, it's the native code kaffeh executable. I plan to switch to