Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "alessandro.benedetti" <a....@sease.io> on 2017/06/23 10:36:42 UTC

[Solr Ref guide 6.6] Search not working

Hi all,
I was just using the new Solr Ref Guide[1] (If I understood correctly this
is going to be the next official documentation for Solr).

Unfortunately search within the guide works really bad...
The autocomplete seems to be just on page title ( including headings would
help a lot).
If you don't accept any suggestion, it doesn't allow to search (!!!).
I tried on Safari and Chrome.

For a Reference guide of a search engine is not nice to have the search
feature in this status.
Actually, being an entry point for developers and users interested in Solr,
it should showcase an amazing and intuitive search and ease life of people
looking for documentation.
I may state the obvious, so concretely is anybody working to fix this ? Is
this because it has not been released officially yet ?

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/

-----

Re: [Solr Ref guide 6.6] Search not working

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
There is an open JIRA issue to provide this search:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10299.

Yes, it's pretty ironic that docs for a search engine doesn't have a
search engine, and I agree it's absolutely necessary, but it's not
done yet.

The title keyword "search" (I hate to even call it "search" - you're
right, today "autocomplete" is a better word for it) can be expanded
relatively easily to include the body of content also. However, this
has not been tested so we have no idea how well it will perform with
the size of our content - the author of that JavaScript says it can be
bad in some situations. This could maybe be a stopgap until a full
search solution is put into place, but maybe the effort to do the
stopgap and make it work well would be better spent implementing Solr
for the Ref Guide instead.

There were 1000 details to doing this transition, and search is the
only feature from the old system that didn't make the cut before
release (and yes, it IS released - see my announcement to this list on
Tuesday). We could have held things up until someone helped make it
happen, or we could move to the new approach and get the 100 other
benefits the change provides the community right away. We chose the
latter.

I do intend to get to search at some point, hopefully sooner rather
than later. But as we say, we're all volunteers here and all of us
have other commitments - to our employers, to our families, etc. -
that sometimes take precedence. If you feel this is something that
should be worked on immediately, you (and anyone reading this) are
strongly encouraged - no, welcomed - to contribute ideas, time, and/or
code to push it forward faster.