Posted to dev@commonsrdf.apache.org by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> on 2016/05/27 09:43:28 UTC

future of commons rdf?

Hi all,

once we got over the 0.2.0-incubating milestone, I think it's time to
meditate what's the future of Commons RDF...

FMPOV it's clear that we're far away from where we wanted to be when we
started this journey of incubation. Many reasons to explain why: the
incubation overhead, the discussions, the different personal/professional
priorities, key people withdraws, etc. Which in the end is all normal.

But that's part of the past, we have to look to the present. And if I look
to our team I can only count two active contributors Stian and myself),
which is clearly not enough to help the major toolkits (Apache Jena and
Eclipse RDF4J) to converge towards a commons API; we clearly lost the
timing on that (Jena 3.x is out there for quite a while and RDF4J's first
milestones came out last week).

So I'd like to make a straight question to all our community: what do we
want to do with the project?

If I'm honest, currently I'm more about retiring the podling than continue,
but you may have a different point of view... and I'd live to hear it.

--
Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Andreas Harth <an...@harth.org>.
Hi Stian,

> Thanks Andreas! This looks very promising. How long are you committed
> to staying on Java 7..? :)

we've just switched from 1.6.  A lot of servers and mobile phones do not
support 1.8.

> I'm also interested in your views on my proposed Quad & Dataset support:
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/pull/19

I'll have to have a look.  Right now we model context/graph names using
internal Java objects, as we do elaborate provenance tracking.

> and also relevant - how we can make a general interface for parsing
> and writing? (I can look closer at NxParser interfaces perhaps)
>
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-commonsrdf/pull/21

Using other people's parsers was a key motivation for looking into
commons-rdf.  But I'm happy with commons-rdf right now... "a little
agreement is better than no agreement", as danbri says.

Cheers,
Andreas.

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Andreas Harth <an...@harth.org>.

[1] https://github.com/nxparser/nxparser/tree/commons-rdf

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
On 31 May 2016 at 11:01, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> The "supply" side is doing OK. There are releases.  Sticking to a stable API
> is necessary to show it's ready.

Yes. Still some got scared by 0.x and "incubator". So we also need to
formalize the stability.

> The "demand" side is weak.
> Discuss what it is not, not just what it is.

> Why does anyone need (not "want") a portability layer?
> Is it for using two systems at the same time or one at a time?
> Is it for new development or for fitting to existing applications?
> What are its advantages over other approaches? (what's its niche?)
> etc etc.

Thanks Andy, I think these are important questions.

For me, one advantage of Commons RDF is that it is very narrow - so
when making APIs such as

https://taverna.incubator.apache.org/javadoc/taverna-language/org/apache/taverna/scufl2/annotation/AnnotationTools.html

..then I don't want to send downstream users (who might not know much
about RDF) straight into Jena or Sesame's comprehensive APIs - yet I
want to allow them to use those if they want to. I want to make it
easy to read or write just a tiny bit of RDF without learning a
framework.

Framework independence is also a good thing - not having to force
(particular versions of) the frameworks onto the classpath of
downstream users, giving flexibility to change implementation for
performance or compatibility reasons, but of course there's the danger
of slf4j/log4j/commonslogging multiple layering here as we're not
alone in that sphere.

For instance I am (somewhat) maintaining a perhaps messy application I
inherited that is tied to a very old version of Sesame - and I want to
update it to say get support for JSON-LD, but I would also want to try
Jena's StreamRDF mechanism and see how I can parse multiple files
concurrently. Currently I'm forced to choose which "update" path I go
down, or pick a new "outer" framework like Clerezza, but with Commons
RDF I can make the majority of the application deal with regular IRIs
and Triples using Commons RDF API, and just change the code that
parses files to see if I can get a parsing performance boost or use
new file formats. So that would be "one at a time" approach for an
existing application.

As Commons RDF have invested a lot in cross-framework support (e.g. in
terms of equality), our potential is to be used as a bridge whenever
an application for some reason needs to combine multiple frameworks
(e.g. combining two libraries which made independent framework
choices) - e.g. avoid things like serializing from Sesame to a
ByteArray stream just to parse it again in Jena within the same JVM
process. Perhaps not being able to demonstrate this yet, we have not
been promoting this feature enough.

Yet we have not seen much interest in that - the discussion with
potential contributors on our lists have focused on the more exotic
topics, e.g. generalizing RDF onto any JVM class structure, or having
an API that is easy to use across JVM languages. This line of inquiry
- while very interesting, was at odds of the original "one set of
interfaces to rule them all" approach and perhaps dismissed a bit too
easily - but this is perhaps also difficult to achieve for a narrow
Commons component with few committers.

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
I see this in terms of "supply" and "demand".

The "supply" side is doing OK. There are releases.  Sticking to a stable
API is necessary to show it's ready.

The "demand" side is weak.
Discuss what it is not, not just what it is.

Why does anyone need (not "want") a portability layer?
Is it for using two systems at the same time or one at a time?
Is it for new development or for fitting to existing applications?
What are its advantages over other approaches? (what's its niche?)
etc etc.

     Andy

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Sergio,

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Thanks Sergio for helping push out 0.2.0!

It is of course sad we didn't achieve what we aimed for - as you say
many things affected this, including timing, politics and differences
in expectations.  You could say that to do what we aimed for we should
have worked more like a traditional JSR or W3C committee with a fixed
timeline, chair, deliverables etc. - forcing through solutions rather
than trying to agree at every point. But let bygones stay bygones!

I think that doesn't mean we have to abandon ship - we can let Commons
RDF be more of an interoperability layer than a common layer - more
similar to Commons VFS as opposed to the JAXB API. The scope of
Commons RDF should however remain small - not to grow to a Clerezza or
Any23 competitor.

Perhaps rdf4j is a good use-case - Commons RDF could easily be a
compatibility layer between Sesame 4 and rdf4j on a triple/quad level.

We are facing a usual chicken&egg problem - if we go to a community
like rdf4j and say "Hey, use Commons RDF" they might say "Who else is
using it?".

I don't know what you think of us trying to release some basic
integration modules ourself within Commons RDF like my branches for
jsonld, sesame and jena? Too much of a distraction? Ideally for
maintenance we wanted Commons RDF to be a 'frozen' & stable API and
for such integration to be done at each third-party project - however
I think doing dependency upgrades is not something that is
particularly tricky within the Commons community - and things like
keeping APIs stable is a key value within Commons.

I agree with John on the point that we don't need a big growing
community to graduate to Commons - just to be in a "releasable" and
maintainable state - which I think we are already at. So personally
(as a fresh Commons PMC member!) be in favour of Commons RDF
graduating to Commons.

Re: future of commons rdf?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Sergio,