Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2008/02/05 07:26:29 UTC

VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Hi,

we have already discussed many times about the best way to implement VAT
taxes in OFBiz.
I did some research recently and I've found this page very interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax

The most interesting aspect, in my opinion, is that, apart from the
differences in the way taxes in general are shown to the customers (e.g.
price with/without tax, as total or per item etc...), that, by the way
are very industry/country specific (and not really related to VAT), the
fundamental difference appears to be the following one:

"Sales taxes are normally only charged on final sales to consumers.
VAT differs from a conventional sales tax in that VAT is levied on every
business as a fraction of the price of each taxable sale they make, but
they are in turn reimbursed VAT on their purchases, so the VAT is
applied to the value added to the goods at each stage of production."

The "Example" paragraph illustrates very well the difference.

Moving these concepts to OFBiz:

Sales Tax:
* tax is computed and collected only for sales orders
* a (monthly) report summarizes the tax collected from customers (i.e
due to the Governemnt)

VAT:
* tax is computed and collected only for sales orders (OK)
* tax should be computed and paid also for purchase orders
* a (monthly) report summarizes the tax collected from customers and the
tax paid to suppliers: the difference is the amount due to the Governemnt

That said, in order to implement VAT tax in OFBiz we could:
1) add a flag to mark the tax as "VAT Tax" (and distinguish it from
sales tax)
2) implement automatic tax calculation for purchase orders
3) implement the monthly report that filters taxes by the flag in point
1 and shows the difference as described above

This doesn't seem very complex; what do you think?

Jacopo

Re: VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
David E Jones schrieb:

> The taxVatCode field is an old one that isn't used in the current tax
> calc stuff using the TaxAuthority and related entities (which do have
> some VAT-specific features, and could have more).

What about removing this field from the product screen?
(yes I'm volunteering ;-)

--
Christian

Re: VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
The taxVatCode field is an old one that isn't used in the current tax
calc stuff using the TaxAuthority and related entities (which do have
some VAT-specific features, and could have more).

-David

Posted by Enrique Ruibal <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.

Posted by "Enrique Ruibal A." <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Jacopo I'd be glad to help and further review/comment on your
developments with regard to this matter.

-Enrique

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Enrique,

Posted by "Enrique Ruibal A." <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Hi,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "Enrique Ruibal A." <er...@prodigy.net.mx>.
Excelent analysis Jacopo, I'd like to add further add to your comments,
that in Mexico's case all the previous steps you mentioned are performed
by the accountant to file in the monthly VAT report for the tax
authority, furthermore it is required to discount the actual VAT paid
and/or charged by each Company against its own bank records.

I'll give you a little example how it works:

1) VAT from purchase orders:
$100 -> goes to credit VAT account i.e. 15100 (asset) from purchases to
suppliers

Less, VAT actually paid to suppliers during closing period (after bank
account reconciliation)
$40 -> goes to VAT actually credited account i.e. 15200 (asset)

After deducting the VAT actually credited against the credit VAT account
$100 - $40, company ends up with:
$60 -> Net remaining in credited VAT account i.e. 15100 (asset)

2) NOW, lets look at how VAT works in sales:
$80 -> goes to payable VAT account i.e. 21100 (liability) from invoices
issued to customers from sales

VAT actually enterd from invoices collected (after bank account
reconciliation)
$40 -> goes to VAT actually collected account i.e. 21200 (liability)

Remaining payable VAT $80 - $40:
$40

3) In order for the accountant to fill out the VAT monthly report,
he/she need to declare the NET VAT amount i.e.:

Net amount credit VAT: $60

less net amount payable VAT $40

Then the accountant declares a net credit VAT of $20, otherwise he/she
would have to issue a check to the tax authority in case the VAT payabla
net amount is greater than the Net credit amount.

So, to sum up it will great for ofbiz to provide furhter VAT management
functionallity as you propose and also it woul be great to include such
a report like the one I described, however it needs a good bank account
reconciliation procedures.

I have worked with these functionalities in other ERP systems before,
I'd be happy to contribute with documentation adn testing and some
development shall you decide to pursue these efforts and integrate the
into Ofbiz.

Regards,

Enrique

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
> Hans Bakker wrote:
>> Hi Jacopo,
>>
>> I had my Dutch company on a simple version of the ofbiz accounting
>> system (no ledger) and this is exactly what i did. Separate the outgoing
>> and incoming VAT from the purchase/sales invoice (invoiceItemType) and
>> pay the difference to the taxman. These payments to the taxman should be
>> considered as 100% 'outgoing' VAT so that a balance can be kept...  .....however....I only know the case in the Netherlands....
>>
>> Here it is required to pay the VAT to the taxman monthly on invoices
>> which have been sent out and received. It can however be that the sales
>> invoice is not paid yet, but the tax needs to be paid....and with a 19%
>> vat it can make cashflow problems...
>>

> The same in Italy: you pay the taxes every month but your customers pay the invoices usually after 30 days (and sometime 60 or
> 90)... annoying :-(
>
> Jacopo
>
>> But that is no problem for the system.....so your explanation sounds
>> good to me.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans

Hi Jacopo, Hans,

I mostly agree with this and Jacopo's premise.

Of course there are always specificities everywhere.
For instance as I'm working as an independant
  . I don't have to have a double-entry bookkeeping. So I'm allowed to register invoices only when they are paid.
  . Moreover when I began my activity (in 2000) I negotiated with my fiscal admistration the right to pay only every quarters.

Jacopo you say
>The most interesting aspect, in my opinion, is that, apart from the differences in the way taxes in general are shown to the
>customers (e.g. price with/without tax, as total or per item etc...), that, by the way are very industry/country specific (and not
>really related to VAT), the fundamental difference appears to be the following one:

I agree that it's not fundamental . But I think that this is where we could do some work at least on the price with/without tax
aspect. Since it seems that (at least) some users are really interested by this. Of course it's easy to say and even if I'm still
interested by this, I did not find the time (priority) to even answer to David Garrett's  and Marco's and propositions (respectively
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-416 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1262 ). Does not mean that I
forgot...

Jacques

Re: VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

--
AntWebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates.....

Re: VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo, Hans, All,

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ti...@sastau.it>
> Hans Bakker wrote:
>> One other remark on VAT, VAT is only required for national sales,
>> international sales have no VAT, even within the EEC.
>>

> From a tech point of view, this is not different from the current sales tax implementation: you can easily setup geo rules for the
> applicability of tax rates.
>
> Jacopo
>
>> So if you have only customers outside your own country, you normally get
>> your VAT paid on purchase orders back from the taxman.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Hans

There other specificities if you are not paid in your country money (you should avoit it ;o)

In France, for instance, there are 2 cases (but I suppose these are common and global practices).

1 . If you use a double entries accounting you are allowed to issue invoices in a foreign  money. You must then convert the paiment
in your money at the date of paiment. The difference between the registered credit and the received paiment must be counted in "gain
or loss of change".At end of exercice you must convert the account in foreign money to your money at the date of the balance. The
difference between accounting and conversion must be registered in "gain or loss of change".
If an invoice has been registered in this exercice and the paiment in another money is in the next exercice there is a difference
between accounting and fiscal paiments since you must convet the the credit at the end of the exercice. If it's a plus you must
credit  a specific account (477 - "écart de conversion passif" in french). This value must be reintegrated from a fiscal view. If
it's a minus you must create provision for change loss, which is not  fiscally deductible. And you must debit a specific account
(476 - "écart de conversion actif" in french) which is fiscally deductible.

2. If you use a simple accounting (collections and disbursements, as an independent for instance) you must issue invoices in your
own money. At end of exercice you must convert the account in foreign money you received into your money at the date of the balance.
The difference between accounting and conversion must be registered in gain or loss of change.

Actually I'm just discovering all that :(and I should know and care, by chance I'm only concerned by the 2d case :o)

Jacques

Re: VAT vs Sales Tax again and again

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hans Bakker wrote:
> One other remark on VAT, VAT is only required for national sales,
> international sales have no VAT, even within the EEC.

 From a tech point of view, this is not different from the current sales

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

--
AntWebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive rates.....