Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stephen Nesbitt <sn...@cobaltgroup.com> on 2006/02/02 02:04:05 UTC

commons-vfs: file creation woes with webdav

All:

commons-vfs is throwing an exception whenever I try to create a new file
vfstest/tmp.

The code throwing the exception looks like this:
FileObject dest =
   getFileObject("webdav://vfsuser:vfstest@localhost/vfstest/tmp)
OutputStream dest.getContent().getOutputStream()

Whereupon it throws the following  FileSystemException:
Create collection failed with message: "Method Not Allowed (405)".

Switching to my apache access log I see the following final appear just prior
to the failure:
127.0.0.1 - vfsuser [01/Feb/2006:16:47:04 -0800] "MKCOL /vfstest/ HTTP/1.1"
405 311 "-" "Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/2.0.2"

OK - I think - this is telling me I don't have permission for the MKCOL.

But according to my apache config I do. Here it is:

Alias /vfstest /var/tmp/vfstest/

DAVMinTimeout 600

<Directory /vfstest>
    Options None
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Location / >
        DAV On
        Options Indexes MultiViews
        AllowOverride None

        AuthType Basic
        AuthName vfstest_zone
        AuthUserFile /var/tmp/passwd
        <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
                Require user vfsuser
        </Limit>
</Location>

Environment:
Apache 2.0
jakarta-slide-webdavclient-2.1
commons-vfs 1.0

I don't experience any problem when using the webdavclient.

Thanks!

--

Stephen Nesbitt
Senior Configuration Management Engineer

Re: commons-vfs: file creation woes with webdav

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Hi!
> Switching to my apache access log I see the following final appear just prior
> to the failure:
> 127.0.0.1 - vfsuser [01/Feb/2006:16:47:04 -0800] "MKCOL /vfstest/ HTTP/1.1"
> 405 311 "-" "Jakarta Commons-HttpClient/2.0.2"

Thats strange. Why tries VFS to create the webdav root directory, so it
looks like for some reason a previous lookup of the given folder failed.

Could you please try this webdavlib snapshot. This is known to work with
VFS:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/slide/jars/jakarta-slide-webdavlib-20050629.161100.jar

Thanks!
Mario