Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/11/06 13:30:31 UTC

[Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.

You can find more information here:

I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
look.

In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
release components that the developer has forgotten to
release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
when using excalibur is, to always release components,
removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
harm, but provides greater performance.

Please cast your votes:

Carsten

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
>current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
>You can find more information here:
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106779872700001&r=1&w=2
>
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106802136600002&r=1&w=2
>
>I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
>a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
>look.
>
>In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
>release components that the developer has forgotten to
>release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
>when using excalibur is, to always release components,
>removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
>harm, but provides greater performance.
>
>Please cast your votes:

<kidding> What is ComponentManagerProxy? </kidding>

+1

Vadim

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
> current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
> You can find more information here:

> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.
>
> In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
> release components that the developer has forgotten to
> release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
> when using excalibur is, to always release components,
> removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
> harm, but provides greater performance.
>
> Please cast your votes:

Makes sense. +1.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.
> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.

+1
--
Torsten

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
> current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
> You can find more information here:

> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.
>
> In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
> release components that the developer has forgotten to
> release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
> when using excalibur is, to always release components,
> removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
> harm, but provides greater performance.
>
> Please cast your votes:

+1

--
Giacomo Pati

RE: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> What happens with non-released components? Garbage Collection?

No, with non-released components you might get a memory-leak.
Therefore it is required to release a component fetch via a lookup
at some point.

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
> current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
> You can find more information here:

> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.
>
> In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
> release components that the developer has forgotten to
> release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
> when using excalibur is, to always release components,
> removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
> harm, but provides greater performance.
>
> Please cast your votes:
>
> Carsten

+1

What happens with non-released components? Garbage Collection?

Joerg

--
System Development
VIRBUS AG

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
> current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
> You can find more information here:

> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.
>
> In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
> release components that the developer has forgotten to
> release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
> when using excalibur is, to always release components,
> removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
> harm, but provides greater performance.
>
> Please cast your votes:

Makes sense. +1.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler dijo:
> Volker found recently a hugh performance problem in the
> current DefaultComponentFactory in Excalibur.
>
> You can find more information here:

> I propose to remove the ComponentManagerProxy as this is
> a) a performance killer and b) not soo useful as it might
> look.
>
> In some situations the ComponentManagerProxy is able to
> release components that the developer has forgotten to
> release - but only in some cases. As the general rule
> when using excalibur is, to always release components,
> removing the ComponentManagerProxy doesn't do any
> harm, but provides greater performance.
>
> Please cast your votes:

+1. I am afraid of future memory leaks. But this will help us hunting for
bugs :-D

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, we have many +1 from cocoon committers, we have only
> one +1 from an avalon committer (myself :( ) and no other
> vote from other avalon committers.

I'm not voting, because I think I am not fully aware of all the ins and
outs of this issue; I'm behind on mail, I've yet to read Volkers post.

> So, this is situation is a little bit difficult.
>
> But as we don't have a -1, "lazy consensus" applies.

indeed; which is why there's no problem. After all, we opened up parts
of the avalon CVS to the cocoon committers precisely to facilitate this
kind of thing.

cheers,

- Leo

RE: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
A release would be great!

We still have the outstanding issue of releasing some components
from excalibur, like source resolver, xml etc. Last time I made
the attempt I failed - and currenlty the built system is
absolutely unusable :(

Carsten

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
peter royal wrote:
> On Nov 7, 2003, at 3:31 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Ok, we have many +1 from cocoon committers, we have only
> > one +1 from an avalon committer (myself :( ) and no other
> > vote from other avalon committers.
> >
> > So, this is situation is a little bit difficult.
> >
> > But as we don't have a -1, "lazy consensus" applies.
> > So, if noone complains in the next hours I will remove
> > the proxy code.
>
> +1, whack it!

Done :)

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Nov 7, 2003, at 3:31 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, we have many +1 from cocoon committers, we have only
> one +1 from an avalon committer (myself :( ) and no other
> vote from other avalon committers.
>
> So, this is situation is a little bit difficult.
>
> But as we don't have a -1, "lazy consensus" applies.
> So, if noone complains in the next hours I will remove
> the proxy code.

+1, whack it!
-pete

Re: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 07 November 2003 16:31, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ok, we have many +1 from cocoon committers, we have only
> one +1 from an avalon committer (myself :( ) and no other
> vote from other avalon committers.
>
> So, this is situation is a little bit difficult.
>
> But as we don't have a -1, "lazy consensus" applies.
> So, if noone complains in the next hours I will remove
> the proxy code.

I think the situation is basically, "Cocoon community knows what's best for
ECM."

Niclas

RE: [Vote] Removing ComponentManagerProxy

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.