Posted to commits@cordova.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2012/03/22 23:01:27 UTC

[Cordova Wiki] Update of "CuttingReleases" by brianleroux

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Cordova Wiki" for change notification.

The "CuttingReleases" page has been changed by brianleroux:
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/CuttingReleases?action=diff&rev1=1&rev2=2

  A official source release contains code for each Apache Cordova platform, the documentation and various other artifacts.

  {{{
+
-   /
+  /
+  |- NOTICE ...... any additional license info
+  |- bin/ ........ the cordova binaries for building apps!
+  |- doc/ ........ compiled cordova-docs
+  |- keys ........ signing keys
+  |- license ..... the asl
+  |- readme.md ... quick readme
+  |- src/ ........ export all platform src dirs
+  '- version ..... version txt
+
-   |-doc/ ........... source documentation
-   |-lib/ ........... platform code for supported operating systems
-   | |-android/
-   | |-bada/
-   | |-blackberry/
-   | |-ios/
-   | |-symbian/
-   | |-webos/
-   | '-windows/
-   |-changelog ..... a changelog compiled from comments and authors
-   |-license ....... the Apache Software License v2
-   |-version ....... release version in plain text
-   '-readme.md ..... release readme
  }}}

- == Notifying the Community ==
+ The {{{/bin/}}} is what you want if you want to start building apps with Cordova.

- The Apache Cordova community aims to prepare releases monthly. Discussion for a release should happen on the mailing list.
+ {{{

- == Packaging a Release for Testing ==
+ /
+ |-android/
+ |-bada/
+ |-blackberry/
+ |-ios/
+ |-symbian/
+ |-webos/
+ '-windows/

- TODO
+ }}}

- ==
+ == Release Philosophy ==

+ The Apache Cordova community aims to prepare releases monthly. Discussion for a release always happens on the mailing list.
+
+ We follow a rolling releases (sometimes called the Train Model) philosophy, which is to say, we value consistent release cadence as a priority over aiming to cram a particular issue, bug or feature to a particular date. Each minor release tends to be loosely themed on a generally agreed upon goal for the project. Bugs always take priority over new shiny.
+
+ Early in the project we stalled on 0.8.0 for almost a year, and as a result our community worked off the edge, making issue tracking very difficult, cascading into a host of predicability and reliability issues, jeopardizing the community. In 2009, when IBM joined the effort with Nitobi, we started releasing once a month, rolling issues over to the next minor.
+
+ We have recently, in the past year or so, started tagging Release Candidates about a week before the expected ship for minor release (such as 1.5.0rc1) which tends to tease out more bugs and avoid the embarrassing patch release. (1.4.1 comes to mind.)
+
+ === 2012 **Estimated** Release Schedule ===
+
+ - 1.6.x, Mar 30
+ - 1.7.x, Apr 30
+ - 1.8.x, May 28