Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pritpal Dhaliwal <ps...@ucdavis.edu> on 2001/11/01 03:55:21 UTC

RE: comparison between SERVLET/JSP to Cold Fusion

I think that ColdFusion is more for totally database backed websites.  I
personally had hard time making a website with coldfusion without using
database.

If  there is some computations happening and all that sorts of stuff, I
would use JSP. If all you have stuff coming straight out of the database,
going straight into a database, and all you care about is putting your
database on the web somehow, I would go coldFusion.

Ofcourse using custom tags, you could get all that ColdFusion has to offer
in JSP.

Also to note, I have very little experience with coldFusion but a lot with
JSP.

Pritpal Dhaliwal

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Henry wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:10:30 -0700 (Mountain Standard Time)
> From: Henry <hx...@cs.ualberta.ca>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: comparison between SERVLET/JSP to Cold Fusion
>
> Then is there any existing tag library developed for easy
> database IO?  and tools that bound java beans to databases
> (not to mention EJB, it can't be used in jsp as  <jsp:usebean ...> which
> will not be useful in developing a pure database website
> FAST enough).

Why can't you use EJBs?  If they have method signatures that correspond to
JavaBeans properties, they are certainly usable (although you might have
performance issues if the actual EJB is on a different server - there are
good design patterns to deal with this sort of thing).

> also I see that use input in the form of "text", "checkbox", can all
> be saved in a bean in a JSP without any    "getParameter()"
> and any "bean.setValue(...)".  why there can't be a feature to
> set "text", "checkbox" by providing a bean in a JSP?

This is one of the problems that web applications frameworks like Struts
(http://jakarta.apache.org/struts) solves for you -- it includes a rich
custom tag library that makes keeping track of input field contents (and
redisplaying them when a validation error fails) pretty painless.

I also encourage you to do some studying on appropriate design patterns
for web applications built with servlets and JSPs.  Rapid development is
certainly one goal, but building an application that can be maintained and
enhanced later (as well as scales in performance) is also important to
most users.

A book that is on my bookshelf (except when I'm writing an app, where it
is sitting open on my desk :-) is "Core J2EE Patterns" by Deepak Alur,
John Crupi, and Dan Malks.  It is a tremendously useful catalog of design
patterns -- not only for new apps, but also for consideration when
refactoring old ones.

Craig

RE: comparison between SERVLET/JSP to Cold Fusion

Posted by Henry <hx...@cs.ualberta.ca>.