Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by srmore <co...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/24 05:55:07 UTC

Cassandra high heap utilization under heavy reads and writes.

Hello,
We moved to cassandra 1.2.9 from 1.0.11 to take advantage of the off-heap
bloom filters and other improvements.

We see a lot of messages dropped under high load conditions. We noticed
that when we do heavy read AND write simultaneously (we read first and
check whether the key exists if not we write it) Cassandra heap increases
dramatically and then gossip marks the node down (as a result of high load
on the node).

Under heavy 'reads only' we don't see this behavior.  Has anyone seen this
behavior ? any suggestions.

Thanks !

Re: Cassandra high heap utilization under heavy reads and writes.

Posted by srmore <co...@gmail.com>.
So, I did a lot of dial turning and heap tuning (came across this nice
writeup about JVM tuning
http://blog.mikiobraun.de/2010/08/cassandra-gc-tuning.html) still no luck
with 1.2.9. I gave up and upgraded to 1.2.12 and since then things are much
much better. I don't run into the heap issue that I used to with 1.2.9.

1.2.12 also looks more stable and seems to work  for us.

-sandeep

Posted by "Christopher J. Bottaro" <cj...@academicworks.com>.