Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by jpoloney <jp...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/17 08:17:16 UTC

Broker often randomly dies

I've been using ActiveMQ for a few months now. Recently I have been
experiencing a lot of random crashes. It has been happening as often as
every few hours. When I say that it has been crashing, I mean that the
process no longer exists. I've checked the logs and there is nothing in
there about it dying or being shut down.

I have a pretty default install of ActiveMQ 5.0 on Debian 4.0 and run it
with the following command:
"nohup ./activemq > /var/log/activemq_log &". Regarding the server, it has
1gb of memory and the only other thing that it is running is a PHP consumer
process that is utilizing minimal CPU and memory. I'm not sure if this is a
memory issue or not.

I'm really running out of ideas as to why it's dying. Sometimes it'll run
for 2 weeks straight with no issues, and then die 2 or 3 times in one day.
Then it's fine again. I don't have any master/slave architecture set up yet.
Is this something that I should invest time into? Also, is there a
recommended way of automatically restarting the broker when it dies?

Thanks,

-- Joel

Re: Broker often randomly dies

Posted by BlueFox <bl...@gmail.com>.
ActiveMQ 5.0 has a problem that it tries to keep around 2000 messages in the
memory. So you'll have to make sure that you have enough memory assigned for
it. Consider using ActiveMQ 5.1 as it does not have such problem.

Regards,