Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com> on 2016/08/03 19:58:34 UTC

Mutation of X bytes is too large for the maximum size of Y

It seems these are basically impossible to track down.

https://support.datastax.com/hc/en-us/articles/207267063-Mutation-of-x-bytes-is-too-large-for-the-maxiumum-size-of-y-

has some information but their work around is to increase the transaction
log.  There's no way to find out WHAT client or what CQL is causing the
large mutation.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate this?

Kevin

--

We’re hiring if you know of any awesome Java Devops or Linux Operations
Engineers!

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*
blog: http://burtonator.wordpress.com
… or check out my Google+ profile
<https://plus.google.com/102718274791889610666/posts>

Re: Mutation of X bytes is too large for the maximum size of Y

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.
On a related note, I still need to file a Jira just to make it easier to find large cells in general, I've had 2 customers now with a bunch of 10mb+ writes (single cell) they weren't expecting and tracking that down is equally challenging (Spark in both cases made it doable, but slow to find).

Regards,

Ryan Svihla

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
Yes.. Logging it is far far far far better.

I think a lot of devs don't have experience working in actual production
environments.  YES the client should probably handle it, but WHICH client.
This is why you log things.  Log the statement that was aborted (at least
the first 100 bytes),

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.
Where I see this a lot is:

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.