Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org> on 2013/03/22 14:25:40 UTC

[ApacheDS] preventing built-in admin account from getting locked permanently

Hi guys,

     We have an issue in the server where the admin (uid=admin,ou=system)
account can get locked
     permanently based on the ppolicy configuration to lock accounts [1].

     IMO we should allow all user and admin accounts to get locked
permanently (again, based on the ppolicy config)
     except the system's built-in admin account (uid=admin,ou=system). This
is just to prevent any abuse involving a
     regular admin account.

     Please suggest if you have any other opinions or suggestions based on
the operations perspective in a production environment.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1812

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com

Re: [ApacheDS] preventing built-in admin account from getting locked permanently

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Stefan Seelmann
<ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>wrote:

> On 22.03.2013 14:34, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> > Le 3/22/13 2:25 PM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >>      We have an issue in the server where the admin
> (uid=admin,ou=system)
> >> account can get locked
> >>      permanently based on the ppolicy configuration to lock accounts
> [1].
> >>
> >>      IMO we should allow all user and admin accounts to get locked
> >> permanently (again, based on the ppolicy config)
> >>      except the system's built-in admin account (uid=admin,ou=system).
> This
> >> is just to prevent any abuse involving a
> >>      regular admin account.
> >
> > Let me sum up :
> > - any user can be locked permanently
> > - admin users may also be locked permanently
> > - the super-admin cannot be locked permanently
>
> If an attacker knows that super-admin account is not locked then that
> account is the natural choice for brute force attacks. Maybe we should
> distinguish between login/bind attempts from localhost and from remote?
>
> the only mechanism that server has right now is to induce incremental
delay(configurable in ppolicy)
after each failure between successive login attempts.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Le 3/22/13 2:25 PM, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> > Hi guys,
> >
> >      We have an issue in the server where the admin (uid=admin,ou=system)
> > account can get locked
> >      permanently based on the ppolicy configuration to lock accounts [1].
> >
> >      IMO we should allow all user and admin accounts to get locked
> > permanently (again, based on the ppolicy config)
> >      except the system's built-in admin account (uid=admin,ou=system).
> This
> > is just to prevent any abuse involving a
> >      regular admin account.
>
> Let me sum up :
> - any user can be locked permanently
> - admin users may also be locked permanently
> - the super-admin cannot be locked permanently
>
> correct ? (If so, my +1)
>
> yes

> That raises another question here (see [2]) :
>
> - assuming that [2] is solved, the super admin can unlock all the users
> *and* all the admins ?

yes

> - a 'normal' admin can only lock users, not admins ?
>
> yes

> PS : admins are the account present in the administrators branch atm.
> Won't it make sense to get rid of such a distinction, and to uses ACI
> instead ?
>
> +1 , we have to fix DefaultCoreSession's isAnAdministrator() method for
this

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.