Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2002/04/22 17:48:14 UTC

Tags in CVS

Fops,

I assume that no general standards apply to symbolic tag names in CVS.
 Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

If not, I propose that we adopt our own standard.  CVS, I have
discovered, is more restrictive that RCS in the construction of symbolic
names.  It only allows [A-Za-z0-9_-].  That narrows the options for
escaping dots.  What I have in mind is the desirability of converting
tags into a more readable strings, especially in repect of numbering.
 There's not a lot that can be done, but if we say that underscore
stands for space, and hyphen is itself, except when separating digits,
we can construct reasonable tags without too much awkwardness.  So
FOP_Release_0-20-4RC1 would display (from Version, e.g.) as "FOP Release
0.20.4RC1" and FOP_Nitro-0-20-4-Experimental as "FOP
Nitro-0.20.4-Experimental".

Any other suggestions?

Peter

Re: Tags in CVS

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Well, Peter, I have another suggestion.  To allow for a few more options
in the pretty-printing of the version, extend the convention a little.
 The proposal is that digit-digit stand for digit.digit.  Let
digit--digit stand for digit-digit.  The proposal is that underscore
always stands for space.  Restrict that by letting [not underscore]_[not
underscore] stand for [not underscore]space[not underscore].  All other
hyphens and underscores (e.g. at the beginning of a tag) to stand unchanged.

In most cases these extensions will be irrelevant, but the do give the
option to have a version display as, e.g.
"FOP 0.20.3-2 Unstable".  The tag for this would be
"FOP_0-20-3--2_Unstable", which virtually speaks for itself.

Using perl REs,
Character set: [A-Za-z_-]
Replacements:

Looking at cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs/CVSROOT/val-tags, it is obvious
there is no standard for tag names, so no-one's nose would be put out of
joint.  I'll have a tinker with this on a branch.

Incidentally, there is no fop-0_20_3-maintain, or rather, fop-0_20_3 is
on the fop-0_20_2-maintain branch.

Peter