Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2001/06/14 18:56:16 UTC

Re: BSDI 4.1 libperl.so problem

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Aaron Schlesinger wrote:

> Hi there. I am having a HELL of a time trying to get
> mod_perl compiled into apache 1_3.17.
>
> I built it using APXS and I really have tried
> everything I can think of.
>
> It makes, and builds without a problem. When I try to
> do a configtest (after installing the new LoadModule
> and such into the httpd.conf file) I get this:
>
> % apachectl configtest
> Syntax error on line 207 of
> /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libperl.so into
> server: File not found

the problem is likely that the dynamic linker cannot find a shared library
that was linked against modperl's libperl.so.  you can find out by using
bsdi's equivalent of strace or truss (to trace system calls) and look for
failed calls of open() for .so files.

Re: BSDI 4.1 libperl.so problem

Posted by Vivek Khera <kh...@kcilink.com>.

>> % apachectl configtest
>> Syntax error on line 207 of
>> /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
>> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libperl.so into
>> server: File not found

DM> the problem is likely that the dynamic linker cannot find a shared library
DM> that was linked against modperl's libperl.so.  you can find out by using
DM> bsdi's equivalent of strace or truss (to trace system calls) and look for
DM> failed calls of open() for .so files.

Back when I was using BSDI, I made sure mod_perl built and ran fine
on it (4.0, 4.1).  You can check the source code for BSDI-specific
twiddles, which were put there by me ;-)

Anyhow, I only ever tested it with a standard build as a DSO.  I never
built via apxs.  Currently I use FreeBSD, so I can't help debug this
one for ya.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/