Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com> on 2006/09/14 17:36:16 UTC

[users@httpd] Stupid question regarding session

Dear all,

just a stupid question regarding Apache and sessions:

We are running Apache 2.0.5x together with Tomcat 5.15.x and are using
mod_auth_cookie_mysql. Authorization is handeld via Tomcat.

Now mod_auth_cookie_mysql sets an expiration-time into the
MySQL-database, after which the cookie is not valid any more, thus the
Apache-session will time out and the user is forced to
re-authenticate.

Now here comes my question:

In Tomcat, the Session is defined as "Max. Time Of Inactivity",
meaning when the user interacts with Tomcat, the session is prolonged
for the time specified in the web app's web.xml-file.

What about Apache http? Will the session also be prolonged when the
user interacts with Apache (i.e. content is served)?

In case someone is using mod_auth_cookie_mysql, will Apache update the
entry for session-expiration in the MySQL-database?

How is the default behaviour of Apache with sessions?

I'd appreciate any hints about where this can be read, i.e. RFC or similar.

TIA

Greg