Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/06 03:01:20 UTC

HMAC in 5.3.6

Nope, not in a hurry.  Maybe run the vote on Monday.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard,
>
> Although I'm with Massimo on the random HMAC pass phrase, I don't
> think the question should hold up a release. Having *some* HMAC
> solution in place soon is important.

I think having a random key is going to give people a false sense of
security ("look, I don't even need to configure anything") and then
big headaches ("why do some of my forms blow up with this HMAC
thing?").

The current solution runs, but emits the error that things could be more secure.

I'm really thinking about using the AlertManager to force this into
the developer's face.

> I should be committing a few minor javadoc changes this weekend
> (finishing up TAP5-1735, the "package-info.java" files), but if you're
> in a hurry don't wait for me.
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think it might be time for a 5.3.6. This is what I'm showing as fixed:
>>
>>>     * [TAP5-2008] - Serialized object data stored on the client should
>>> be HMAC signed and validated
>>
>> Please read my other on the HMAC signature before start the release.
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Massimo
>> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: HMAC in 5.3.6

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've committed these changes
> - Default HMAC password is the application root package (so at least
> each app will have a different value)
> - AlertManager.error() called as well as logger.error()

Thank you

Cheers
--
Massimo

Re: HMAC in 5.3.6

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM, Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Although I'm with Massimo on the random HMAC pass phrase, I don't
>>> think the question should hold up a release. Having *some* HMAC
>>> solution in place soon is important.
>>
>> I think having a random key is going to give people a false sense of
>> security ("look, I don't even need to configure anything") and then
>> big headaches ("why do some of my forms blow up with this HMAC
>> thing?").
>
> I don't want to transform this in a "bikeshed color" discussion but
> having a random key or something along that way is far more secure
> then the current default.
>
>> The current solution runs, but emits the error that things could be more secure.
>
> To my eyes this is a "false sense of security"
>
>> I'm really thinking about using the AlertManager to force this into
>> the developer's face.
>
> I'd vote for that.
>
> Cheers
> --
> Massimo
> http://meridio.blogspot.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: HMAC in 5.3.6

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Although I'm with Massimo on the random HMAC pass phrase, I don't
>> think the question should hold up a release. Having *some* HMAC
>> solution in place soon is important.
>
> I think having a random key is going to give people a false sense of
> security ("look, I don't even need to configure anything") and then
> big headaches ("why do some of my forms blow up with this HMAC
> thing?").

I don't want to transform this in a "bikeshed color" discussion but
having a random key or something along that way is far more secure
then the current default.

> The current solution runs, but emits the error that things could be more secure.

To my eyes this is a "false sense of security"

> I'm really thinking about using the AlertManager to force this into
> the developer's face.

I'd vote for that.

Cheers
--