Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Anil Patel <to...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/03 00:07:43 UTC

Parameterize serviceName in error message for permission error.

Hi,
Checking to see if there is possible better way to do this. Every time we do
permission check for CRUD operation we end up defining new message resource
file. Only thing that changes is name of service.

Is there a known solution, where we can parameterize the service name and
use just one message all these CRUD operation?

Regards
Anil Patel

Re: Parameterize serviceName in error message for permission error.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
That's a different issue, sounds like the one from your other email
earlier today.

Having a permission extension like "_ROLE_PARTY" is weird, I'm not
sure _what_ that is for. It looks like a variation on the "role
limited permissions" that are an established pattern in OFBiz. The
best example of them is probably the checkProductRelatedPermission
simple-method in the ProductServices.xml file. On line 511 you'll see
where it uses "CATALOG_ROLE" as the prefix instead of "CATALOG".

When doing role-limited permissions the "_ROLE" appendage should
always be a suffix to the "permission", and not a prefix to the
"action" side of the permission. I have seen this confused before and
I think it's a bad practice because it breaks the normal suffix set
("_CREATE", "_UPDATE", "_DELETE", "_VIEW", "_ADMIN").

The basic idea is that if you have something like a "CATALOG_ROLE"
permission base instead of the "CATALOG" permission base, then you
have to be connected to the item in question either in a
predetermined role, or in any role, depending on how things are coded
(ie it's a convention, not a set of hard rules).

-David

Posted by Anil Patel <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.