Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Mahler Thomas <th...@itellium.com> on 2003/12/15 17:18:15 UTC

Staring the maintenance branch

Hi all,

Some time ago we agreed to start a maintenance branch with RC5 so sperate
bug fixes for the 1.0 branch from new features for the 1.1 HEAD.

What exactly do we have to do to create such a branch in CVS?
Is there a way to do it with the eclipse cvs perspective?

If someone tells me what to do I will setup everything.
As there are already new CVS checkins I guess we should do the branch rather
sooner than later.

cheers,
Thomas

Re: Staring the maintenance branch

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
I can handle making the branch if no one else (with more seniority ;-)
wants to or is comfortable doing so.

I would definitely make branches via the command line -- though I have
no idea what Eclipse's support for CVS is so who knows, maybe they do
make it very easy.

In general, the best reference for CVS is the "Cederqvist" at
http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/

Creating a branch is described at:

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.10/cvs_5.html#SEC56

Notably branches are made from the working copy - what you have checked
out, NOT what is in HEAD.

Once the branch is made i suggest keeping both branches checked out
separately. To checkout a branch use:

cvs co -r RELEASE_1_0 db-ojb

Once it is checked out to the branch you no longer need to worry about
it unless you force a revision, merge, etc. CVS uses its metadata in
the filesystem to track the proper place to check things back into etc.

-Brian