Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com> on 2004/06/16 21:50:35 UTC

java server mode vs. client mode

I posted this on the struts list this morning, but it might get better
answers here.

I was reading the stories here:

http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45250
http://www.kano.net/javabench/

mode is much more iffy, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, and sometimes
the same.

So my question becomes - does anybody have any experience running their
Tomcat jvm using the -server option instead of letting it default to client?

Based on what the tester says, the only downside of running the jvm in
server mode is a longer startup time, but the Java code still beat C++ even
with the longer times, so it can't be too bad.

So anybody have any experience/thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt Bathje

Re: java server mode vs. client mode

Posted by Elijah Epifanov <sm...@sulamita.ru>.
At first:
    If I'ld write a C++ compiler with Perl, this doesn't mean
        that it will generate code slower than Perl scripts:)
Then:
    Exhaustive optimization techniques (like loop expansion,
        disabling array bounds checking, etc.) really make your
        code faster in ANY case, BUT small amount of generated
        code may fit your processors cache, some jump may be
        converted to short jumps, etc.. So, generally speaking,
        more optimized code shall run faster, but it's bigger.
        Huge amount of code may even seriously decrease
        amount of free RAM, so more swapping will occur.
        AND ... if you do really meaninglessthings in your code, then
        there's a chance that optimizer will not eliminate
        this code, because it cannot generate OPTIMAL code.
        This is, mathematically speaking, twice a NP-hard problem.
        First when generating code, second when testing it's speed.
    I recommed using -server hotspot. Look at name...
        S E R V E R. I'm not sure guys from Sun randomly named it
        this way :)

> I posted this on the struts list this morning, but it might get better
> answers here.
>
> I was reading the stories here:
>
> http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=45250
> http://www.kano.net/javabench/

client
> mode is much more iffy, sometimes faster, sometimes slower, and sometimes
> the same.
>

> So my question becomes - does anybody have any experience running their
> Tomcat jvm using the -server option instead of letting it default to
client?

> Based on what the tester says, the only downside of running the jvm in
> server mode is a longer startup time, but the Java code still beat C++
even
> with the longer times, so it can't be too bad.
>
> So anybody have any experience/thoughts on this?
>

> Thanks,
> Matt Bathje

Matt,

No one can really believe Java is faster than C or C++, because Java is
itself written in C and C++.

I haven't been through the benchmark code throroughly, but there's
definitely a bias somewhere.

-------------------------------
Eric VERGNAUD - JLynx Software
Cutting-edge technologies and
services for software companies
web: http://www.jlynx.com

[OT] Re: java server mode vs. client mode

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.
Yes, I understand that it may not be completley accurate, but I was less
interested in the Java/C++ comparison than the client/server mode
comparison.

Thanks,
Matt Bathje

RE: Can server.xml be reloaded without restart?

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@comcast.net>.
Ok, I get it now... But is there any way to make it so that you can add new www.domain.com aka virtual hosts without restarting the server?

Posted by Digby <li...@digby.net>.

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

---

Re: Can server.xml be reloaded without restart?

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@comcast.net>.
Tomcat HOW-TO does a really bad job of explaining of how context.xml would work... Google didn't yield any useful information as well...

So, as far as I understand, you create a file called context.xml, and place the <Context> tag and all its contents into it (instead of keeping them inside of server.xml)...

Now, where does that context.xml go?  Into WEB-INF?  Tried it, didn't work.

Also, how would it know which <Host> to belong to?

And do I use the manager application to deploy those dynamically?  In manager application, you can deploy only one .war file, so I guess it goes in it somehow?

Posted by Ivan Jouikov <iv...@comcast.net>.
If I am hosting a large number of applications on my server, and I add a new application every couple of hours and every application requires having its own DB pool (aka <Resource> entry in server.xml), how can I make it so that my server.xml gets reloaded automatically?

Because if I restart it, I'll loose all the current sessions and have downtime for a few seconds, and that's no good...

Any advice?

---

Re: java server mode vs. client mode

Posted by Peter Lin <tc...@yahoo.com>.

ahh gotta love benchmarks. the only valid benchmark is your own application, which you've tuned.

all other cases are seriously error proned or not applicable to real applications.

peter

le 16/06/04 21:50, Matt Bathje � mpb@ntsource.com a �crit :

Posted by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com>.

> No one can really believe Java is faster than C or
> C++, because Java is
> itself written in C and C++.

isn't there a hardware JVM implementation?  maybe
running on that, Java > C++

:D

Re: java server mode vs. client mode

Posted by Eric VERGNAUD <er...@jlynx.com>.

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.
Thanks for the pointer to the article, don't know why I didn't just think to
look their in the first place.

I was sure it was something that has been mentioned on the list before, but
I wasn't able to find a way to search for it that yielded good results.

Thanks again for the info!
Matt Bathje