Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Star Guo <st...@ceph.me> on 2015/02/13 02:46:24 UTC

Live migration ip address with kvm

Hi, all,

  Can I create tags in physical host in CloudStack ? I see template and instance support tags.

  I want to add a tag like “livemigrationipaddress” on kvm host, and change the kvm hypervisor code support assign the live migration ip address (may be storage network with 10gbps ) while default is the management ip.

CloudMonkey

 > help create tags

(createTags) Creates resource tag(s)

This API is asynchronous.

Required params are resourceids tags resourcetype

Parameters

==========

customer = (string) identifies client specific tag. When the value is not null, the tag can't be used by cloudStack code internally

resourceids = (list) list of resources to create the tags for

tags = (map) Map of tags (key/value pairs)

resourcetype = (string) type of the resource

  Are there another good idea to do this ? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Star Guo

Re: Live migration ip address with kvm

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.
It's not a good idea to use resource tags. Resource tags should not be
used by CloudStack itself to do business logic, just for arbitrary
metadata the admin may want.

The trick is that you want the source host to know that the
destination host has a secondary IP that can be used for live
migration.  To do it right you'd probably want to add a field to the
host table, a new parameter to the AddHostCmd api call, and pass that
migration IP along with MigrateCommand to the hypervisor. Once you do
that then the info is available to all of the hypervisor plugins to
use.

Outside of that, there are hacks that would allow this but they're at
least as much work as what I described above with the only benefit
being that you can avoid modifying the CloudStack code (writing api,
agent plugins). The easiest way would probably be to reconfigure the
network to allow mgmt traffic through a trunk on the 10G interfaces.

Posted by Marcus <sh...@gmail.com>.