Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net> on 2012/05/11 14:34:54 UTC

Not happy with the Google results

I wanted to find where to get technical support on a question so I started
to Google it. Then I decided to just see if the answer was available
already so I tried that first. What I found out was very disappointing and
discouraging.

I do not want to be involved in or listen to a war.

I had Oracle OpenOffice installed. I installed LibreOffice after Oracle
quit supporting OpenOffice. Now I downloaded and installed Apache
OpenOffice into the OpenOffice folder effectively upgrading OpenOffice.
However, it is using the old settings, and worse, the old template folder
and history list.

Now I would like to import or merge the LibreOffice settings etc. into
OpenOffice and make everything one again.

But instead what do I find? What seems to be a war. A stupid,
inconvenient, unnecessary dispute between LibreOffice and OpenOffice. I
have no patience with this nonsense. I do not care about the details. As
far as I am concerned there should not be two programs still.  I want a
resolution soon, so I can go on with my projects without any decision as
to which of the two office suites is better or whatever the argument is.
Until then I am not going into a forum where I ask how to import/merge
LibreOffice with the Apache OpenOffice and receive whining about
incompatibility, loss of features and a lot of other things that I don’t
care about. I realize it may not be as bad as it seems, but I am reluctant
to post in the forum anyway.

As  far as I am concerned Apache should have made sure all of the good
features that are in LibreOffice would be in OpenOffice. LibreOffice
developers and users should have expected that once OpenOffice was being
continued and supported LibreOffice would no longer be needed and any
developers should have been helping to develop OpenOffice.

Until AOO 3.5 comes out I guess I will continue to use LibreOffice.

--
Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood (White Phoenix)

Merging / Importing LibreOffice settings into Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.

Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>

Re: Not happy with the Google results

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Alan Boba <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On May 11, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Alan Boba wrote:
> >
> > To get the information you need your best result is likely to come by
> > posting in the forum of the product you're using asking how to import or
> > otherwise copy your settings. I think responding to Dan's questions would
> > be heading down the right path.
>
> Only help should be offered here and not a battle.

Not trying to be combative. Just suggesting the path I think would produce
the best result for Rod and the reason I believe it is so.

Re: Not happy with the Google results

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 18:28 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On May 11, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Alan Boba wrote:

> > Sorry Ron what you find surprising is, to me, expected. Like Chevy and Ford
> > owners extolling the virtues of their preferred brand.
>
> Yes, you do get noisy "fanboys" on the web.
> >
> > Presumably AOO is dedicated to improving its product and LO the same.
> > Portability of settings and features between the two is not going to be a
> > focus for either.
>
> That's not necessarily true. This is open source and AOO is a community project. If someone wants to work on this feature for AOO all they need to do is go to the ooo-dev ML and ask how. I can only assume that the same would be true for LO.
>
> Don't let the rants of the fanboys get in your way. Both this ML and the User Forums (http://user.services.openoffice.org/.) will do our best to help.

and since you are talking about moving things between both packages, you
can also ask questions at ask.libreoffice.org

Posted by Robert Holtzman <ho...@cox.net>.
On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 02:33:31PM -0400, Rod Lockwood wrote:

            .........huge snip........

> I tend to be irritable as I get older and have no idea why there
> should be a problem when LO was temporary and the developers can go
> in and make their contributions to the new OpenOffice.

I'm missing something. Where was it stated that LO is/was temporary?

             ..........another snip.........

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Re: Not happy with the Google results

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.
On Fri, 11 May 2012 21:28:52 -0400, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> On May 11, 2012, at 7:03 AM, Alan Boba wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Sorry Ron what you find surprising is, to me, expected. Like Chevy and
>> Ford
>> owners extolling the virtues of their preferred brand.
>
> Yes, you do get noisy "fanboys" on the web.

Most of the whining seems to come from the LO side, if you go by the
Google hits.

>> Presumably AOO is dedicated to improving its product and LO the same.
>> Portability of settings and features between the two is not going to be
>> focus for either.
>
> That's not necessarily true. This is open source and AOO is a community
> project. If someone wants to work on this feature for AOO all they need
> to do is go to the ooo-dev ML and ask how. I can only assume that the
> same would be true for LO.

Apache has "the Apache Way" policy, which sounds very reasonable and if
developers from LibreOffice wanted could contribute very easily.

> Don't let the rants of the fanboys get in your way. Both this ML and the
> User Forums (http://user.services.openoffice.org/.) will do our best to
> help.

I tend to be irritable as I get older and have no idea why there should be
a problem when LO was temporary and the developers can go in and make
their contributions to the new OpenOffice.

Anticipating the needs of the customer is very important. Apache should
have realized with people using LibreOffice as a temporary fix would want
to go back to OO and make it easy for them to do that.

I had wondered what would have happened if I had installed AOO into the LO
folder instead of the OO folder. I had reasons for not trying it, but I
just realized I have the original OO install backed up . . .

I tried using system restore to go back, but W7 failed . . . on all of the
restore points. >sigh< XP was slow, but it worked better, and now the 64b
version is no longer available. Anyway, I think I just figured out a way
around that. I could experiment.

Anyway. Now I have two or three possibilities. Try and install AOO over LO
or just move the User files from LO to AOO. (Which is what I am pretty
sure Dan was getting at.) By using my external drive, I might be able to
trick AOO into thinking it isn’t installed or I can just uninstall it (my
original OOo settings, etc. have been preserved) and re-install it over LO.

>> Having all the good features of both in a single product would be great.
>> That could never happen because "good feature" is subjective and while a
>> majority will agree on certain good features other good features will
>> only
>> be recognized as such by the minorities served by them.

You can always make the borderline ideas optional until you find out that
too few people use the feature. Unless the new option makes the other
obsolete. If there is a good reason not to do this (such as creating a
bug) then the reason would be documented and the option not implemented.
It really shouldn’t be that difficult to figure out.

>> To get the information you need your best result is likely to come by
>> posting in the forum of the product you're using asking how to import or
>> otherwise copy your settings. I think responding to Dan's questions
>> would
>> be heading down the right path.

Have done so.

> Only help should be offered here and not a battle.

Exactly.

> Regards,
> Dave

Later Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood
Rod’s Rants
Rod’s Belfry
Victorian Cosmos
My Facebook profile
webmaster, Pokémon Dungeon (White Phoenix)
founder, Gomorra Town Hall on Facebook
WhitePhoenix on IRC Chat
WhitePhoenixUS on YouTube and just about everywhere else
Support your local and online small businesses!
Feed the Pig.

Re: Not happy with the Google results

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alan Boba <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.
I have to quit posting after working all night.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1.

I always make hidden files visible and I edit the registry on occasion
also.

My apologies for the undeserved rant.

--

Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Installing Apache OpenOffice over LibreOffice (was: Not happy with the Google results)

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.
Hello Alex,

I am one or two steps ahead of you, but I don’t think I gave any details
in my last message of what I did to install AOO this time around. So I
will do so now.

This is for Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 64 bit. I have hidden files and
folders un-hidden.

I copied my installation of OpenOffice 3.3 from Program Files (x86) to a
temporary folder I keep for just such an occasion.
I copied the OpenOffice.org folder that is in the C:/Users/<user
profile>/AppData/Roaming/ to my temp folder.
I renamed the original folder in Roaming to "XOpenOffice.org".

I copied the LibreOffice folder that was in Program Files (x86) into the
temp folder along with its counterpart in Roaming.
I then renamed the LibreOffice folder that was in Roaming to
OpenOffice.org.

I installed Apache OpenOffice 3.4 taking the option to install into my
LibreOffice folder.
Everything installed smoothly. The installation gutted the old OpenOffice
folder when it installed over LibreOffice.

I started up AOO and it worked fine except for the arrow keys not working.
I have a program that renames files and everything in the registry etc. So
the folder named LibreOffice was changed to OpenOffice. Everything still
works the same.

I deleted the XOpenOffice.org folder.

I re-installed LibreOffice 3.5 and copied my old LO folder from the temp
folder over it.
I then replaced the copy of LibreOffice back into Roaming. This returned
my old settings, templates, etc.

LibreOffice is working as it was and I have AOO installed with all of the
same settings, templates, etc of my old installation of LO (with minor
exceptions to the differences between the programs).

--

Later,
Rod Lockwood (rodlockwood@provide.net)

Posted by Alexander Thurgood <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Caesar <ca...@hiwaay.net>.
<ro...@provide.net> wrote Re Not happy with the Google results:

>I do not want to be involved in or listen to a war.

OK.