Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2014/08/09 05:47:43 UTC

Re: Onboarding strategy for Newcomers

On 08/08/2014 5:54 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Ron,
>
> You do have a point with respect of OFBiz adoption by new (and/or
> prospective) users, and you outline it very well. And you already started
> addressing  in (an)other mail thread(s). And it found fruitful ground
> there. Please keep up the good work, as good documentation leads to a
> bigger user base. And  a bigger user base leads to a bigger contributor
> base and thus a bright future of this project.
>
> This thread, however, is about - as you already surmised -whether or not
> easing the onboarding of new contributors is necessary in this community
> and what needs to be done for that.
The focus of the paper  is a bit different from the problem of
attracting new users of the project's results.
However if there were 1000 IT organizations supporting their
organization's core business processes through OfBiz, there would be no
problem with the number of people wanting to be part of the PMC and
willing to expend resources (people and money) to improve and extend OfBiz.

At the moment, my impression is that the project does not have the
documentation that is required to attract 1000 medium or large
organizations to adopt it on their own (not as a part of a solution
proposed by a system integrator).

This is not hard to fix but it will take a team effort.

Ron

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 09/08/2014 05:47, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> On 08/08/2014 5:54 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>> Ron,
>>
>> You do have a point with respect of OFBiz adoption by new (and/or
>> prospective) users, and you outline it very well. And you already started
>> addressing  in (an)other mail thread(s). And it found fruitful ground
>> there. Please keep up the good work, as good documentation leads to a
>> bigger user base. And  a bigger user base leads to a bigger contributor
>> base and thus a bright future of this project.
>>
>> This thread, however, is about - as you already surmised -whether or not
>> easing the onboarding of new contributors is necessary in this community
>> and what needs to be done for that.
> The focus of the paper  is a bit different from the problem of attracting new users of the project's results.

Yes , it's more oriented on build a community, which can help attracting new users  ;)

> However if there were 1000 IT organizations supporting their organization's core business processes through OfBiz, there would be no problem with
> the number of people wanting to be part of the PMC and willing to expend resources (people and money) to improve and extend OfBiz.
>
> At the moment, my impression is that the project does not have the documentation that is required to attract 1000 medium or large organizations to
> adopt it on their own (not as a part of a solution proposed by a system integrator).

You are certainly right. The problem is also that there are a lot (maybe not 1000, but certainly hundreds) sometimes big organisations which are using
OFBiz but don't want that this is known...
There are some exceptions but even then it's not promoted. Did you know Atlassian Jira uses the OFBiz Entity Engine and it was their 1st product on
which they created their business?
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/atlassians-upside-down-business-strategy-could-it-work-for-you/

Another problem (and this the is the traditional "Chicken or the egg") is some organisations use OFBiz to build a prototype and then willing to cut
costs (rare is expensive) migrate it to a more traditional approach with Java minions (eg Spring+Hibernate).  It could be that performance is also a
reason why they migrate...

> This is not hard to fix but it will take a team effort.

I'm quite happy to have you with us for that!

Jacques