Posted to user@manifoldcf.apache.org by James Thomas <ja...@linguamatics.com> on 2018/12/07 11:40:55 UTC

Problems connecting ManifoldCF 2.11 to Oracle Express

Hi,

I've been trying to configure the JDBC connector to use an Oracle
Express (https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/xe.html)
[1]database. I can talk to the database with SQL Developer, making
tables and running queries, so I am confident that the database is
functional.

Using ManifoldCF 2.11, when I create a connection and save it, I get an
error message:  Threw exception: 'Driver class not found:
oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver'

I'm familiar with the Documentum connector so I was expecting that I
might need to add library code from Oracle to the ManifoldCF
installation but I can only find references to an ojdbc.jar file for
building,
https://manifoldcf.apache.org/release/release-2.11/en_US/how-to-build-and-deploy.html#Building+and+running+the+JDBC+connector%2C+including+Oracle%2C+MSSQL%2C+MySQL%2C+SQLServer%2C+and+Sybase+JDBC+drivers:
For Oracle, download the appropriate Oracle JDBC jar from the Oracle
site, and copy it into the same directory before you build ManifoldCF.

I've downloaded the relevant jar from Oracle and also taken it from my
SQL Developer instance but I can't find a place within the ManifoldCF
instance where it is picked up at run time.

I did find that dropping it into the Java distro
(Java\jdk1.8.0_91\jre\lib\ext) made it findable, but this doesn't seem
like a long-term solution.

I can't find a bug in this area in the ManifoldCF Jira.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
James

Links:
------
[1] https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/xe.html)

Re: Problems connecting ManifoldCF 2.11 to Oracle Express

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

ManifoldCF does not currently support Oracle as a back-end database.  It
does support crawling Oracle databases, however, via the JDBC Connector.
Is that what you are trying to do?

If it is, then please note the following instructions for the JDBC
connector.  Because the driver you are trying to use is proprietary, you
will need to put the driver in an appropriate place in the source tree and
build ManifoldCF yourself (in order to get the proprietary versions of all
the examples etc.).  Please read the following:

'The jdbc connector can, in theory, work with any JDBC driver that has been
added into the list it knows about.  The code as granted knows about the
following:

Mssql/Sybase (via open-source jtds)
Postgresql (via an appropriate open-source postgresql JDBC driver)
Oracle (via a proprietary, but freely downloadable Oracle JDBC driver)

The connector was tested against the following versions of the above:

Oracle: oracle ojdbc5 jdk1.5 and ojdbc6 jdk1.6
Jtds: version 1.2.2, downloadable from SourceForge
Postgresql: the debian postgresql driver package for postgresql 8.3.7, aka
libpg-java, version 8.2-504-2.

None of these required custom changes.

To build this connector with Oracle support, copy the Oracle JDBC
driver into the root "lib-proprietary" directory, calling it "ojdbc.jar",
before building.
To build with Mssql/Sybase, copy a version of the jtds driver into that
same directory,
and call it "jtds.jar".  DO NOT COPY JDBC DRIVERS TO THIS DIRECTORY;
they will not be picked up by ManifoldCF.

Then, build the connector using the normal ant build script.  Further
information can be
found on the "how-to-build-and-deploy.html" documentation page.'

Karl