Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/02 01:09:22 UTC

DOAP

Hi there.

In the process of cleaning up photark, I noticed that very few
incubating projects have DOAP files.

That is, I looked at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/files.xml.

If that page is stale and DOAP-i-ness happens elsewhere, someone
please fill me in and excuse this noise.

Re: DOAP

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2 January 2013 10:08, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Onami is not listed below, but we have a Doap file (which needs some
> maintenance :-)
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/onami/committers/doap_Onami.rdf
>
> Three questions, because I am not so familiar with Doap files.
>
> 1) do we have to add them manually to:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/files.xml

Yes, see:

http://projects.apache.org/create.html

> 2) On onami we maintain several independent components. Should we
> maintain different doap files (one for each component), like it seems
> to be done by Commons?

Commons components are completely unrelated to each other; it's a
slightly special case.
HttpComponents is probably closer; that also uses separate DOAPs for
its components.

> 3) Should the doap file become part of the release?

Best to exclude it.
It's not really part of the source - and won't in general be up to
date for the current release (e.g. release date won't usually be known
in time)

It can be stored elsewhere than under trunk (and there's no point
having copies under branches or tags).
Some projects have a separate site/ folder which could be used for the doap(s).

Re: We Need One - Fwd: DOAP

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 03/01/2013 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> We need to fill out a project DOAP file in order to be listed on
>> www.apache.org on the bottom left.
> OpenOffice will soon be displayed at http://www.apache.org/ (bottom
> left); or at least, we now have a valid DOAP file at
> http://openoffice.apache.org/doap_openoffice.rdf

By the way, as Infra explained to me, DOAP and homepage are unrelated.

So the DOAP file is working and allows correct listing, for example,
here: http://projects.apache.org/indexes/alpha.html#O

But the bottom-left region of the http://www.apache.org/ homepage takes
its content from a static hard-coded block that must be edited
accordingly, with no relation to the DOAP files. I've now changed it and
OpenOffice is listed correctly.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: We Need One - Fwd: DOAP

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Dave Fisher wrote:
> We need to fill out a project DOAP file in order to be listed on
> www.apache.org on the bottom left.

Thanks, this was already reported by khirano while the migration was not
completed yet, so it was in the list of pending changes at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Graduation+Infrastructure+Changes
Well, now it isn't pending any longer!

We Need One - Fwd: DOAP

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
HI Andrea,

We need to fill out a project DOAP file in order to be listed on www.apache.org on the bottom left.

Regards,
Dave

Begin forwarded message:

Re: Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Fabian Christ:
> that reminded me of updating the DOAP file for Stanbol. I updated the basic
> information.
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stanbol/site/trunk/doap/doap_Stanbol.rdf

Thanks!

> Should we provide release information in that file?

If it is not to much effort: why not?

The DOAP schema is available here:
http://usefulinc.com/ns/doap#

> To me the use of it is a bit unclear as
> it is only used to generate the
> http://projects.apache.org/page.

A few hints, but I also would like to see suggestions / use cases:

Other projects are also providing DOAP:
https://github.com/edumbill/doap/wiki/Sites

An example for Debian:
curl -L -v -H 'Accept: application/rdf+xml' \
http://packages.qa.debian.org/apache2

See also:
http://www-public.it-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/weblog/2012/08/29/debian-package-tracking-system-now-produces-rdf-description-of-source-packages/

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

that reminded me of updating the DOAP file for Stanbol. I updated the basic
information.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stanbol/site/trunk/doap/doap_Stanbol.rdf

Should we provide release information in that file? To me the use of it is

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 03.01.2013, at 10:04, "Andreas Kuckartz" <A....@ping.de> wrote:

> Hi Rupert,
>
> What would be the best way to improve that?
>
> 1. Eliminating those blank nodes ?
> 2. Extending the EntityHub ?
>
> Am I correct that only the first alternative is possible/reasonable ?

For now this is correct. As soon as the Entityhub adapts the two layered Storage currently implemented for the Contenthub this will change. In fact the two Store implementation for the Entityhub (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-704) do already support BNodes. But those things will still need some time to hit the trunk.

best
Rupert

Re: Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Hi Rupert,

Re: Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andreas

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/stanbol/trunk/integration-tests/src/test/java/org/apache/stanbol/entityhub/it/EntityhubTest.java

Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Apache Stanbol Re: DOAP

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Re: DOAP

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
DOAP files are required for all TLPs, per the Branding policy:

   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs

DOAP files are used to autogenerate the projects listing site:

   http://projects.apache.org/indexes.html

DOAP files are the best way we have currently to ensure we have a
single, simple and machine-parseable list of all software projects
available at the ASF.  We currently under-utilize this: it would be nice
if projects had more detailed DOAPs that we could entice people to
create interesting visualizations of all Apache projects.  It should
also be linked to more, so that newcomers to the ASF have an easier way
to find all the different software technologies that Apache projects
have to offer to the world.

 From the brand perspective, DOAPs are required so the ASF can track all

Re: DOAP

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: DOAP

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 02.01.2013 01:09, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> In the process of cleaning up photark, I noticed that very few
>> incubating projects have DOAP files.
>
> At the risk of appearing a total idiot (as if I usually don't), I have
> to ask: what is a DOAP file and what is it good for?

I found that (look at the left side navigation too)
http://projects.apache.org/doap.html

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: DOAP