Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com> on 2014/01/16 18:47:50 UTC

Uniquely Identifying a LB Cartridge

Hi Devs,

Currently it seems that identifying a LB cartridge is done using a property
in cartridge definition ("name": "load.balancer", "value": "true"). The
Autoscaler looks at this to decide whether to assign a normal Cluster
Monitor or a LB Cluster Monitor. If this property is not available, there
is no way to do this. IMHO, we should not add this as a property, but as a
mandatory field. WDYT of adding a unique property to identify the LB
cartridge? Furthermore, we could extend this approach to uniquely identify
the four basic cartridge categories as previously discussed in the mail
thread with subject [1].

[1]. A Better Model for Generic Types of Cartridges

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
+94 716 358 048* <http://wso2.com/>*

Re: Uniquely Identifying a LB Cartridge

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Sorry I couldn't reply to this earlier.

We have an abstraction for this purpose, and these four categories
(Application, Data, Framework and LB) are the currently identified concrete
implementations. So, the code is pretty much generic there, and we don't
have to use long if-else ladders in the program flow. As Damitha mentioned
in his reply as well, if there is a complete new cartridge category in the
future, there will be code changes, but having this abstraction will help
to integrate the new category easily.

Posted by damitha kumarage <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, with the knowledge currently we have, all cartridges will fit into
>>> one of above categorize.
>>>

>> Are these types hardcoded? Is there a way to easily introduce a new type
>> without any changes to the framework?
>>

> AFAIK, in current code yes. IsuruH please correct me if I am wrong. I
> agree we need to come with proper extension mechanism, which we need to
> figure out.

Yeah,
If there is code like, if(type == appCatridge) doSomething; if (type ==
dataCatridge) doSomethingElse; it is not good. Since Stratos is a PaaS
framework, ideally, it should not have a prerequisite knowledge about the
catridges. Defining catridges/types & plugging them in should solely be at

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

>>> It is fine to categorize cartridges for documentation purposes, but does
>>> the Stratos framework need to have prior knowledge about these cartridges?
>>> Do we have to change anything to introduce a new cartridge type?
>>>

>> Yes, with the knowledge currently we have, all cartridges will fit into
>> one of above categorize.
>>

> Are these types hardcoded? Is there a way to easily introduce a new type
> without any changes to the framework?

AFAIK, in current code yes. IsuruH please correct me if I am wrong. I agree
we need to come with proper extension mechanism, which we need to figure
out.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Software Architect; WSO2 Inc.
Mobile : +94714289692
Blog : http://lakmalsview.blogspot.com/

Re: Uniquely Identifying a LB Cartridge

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

* cell: +94 77 3320919 blog: **http://blog.afkham.org*<http://blog.afkham.org>

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Azeez,

Posted by Afkham Azeez <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
+1 for cartridge category.

Touched, not typed. Erroneous words are a feature, not a typo.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
Great! Thanks everyone.

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>>> keep  adding new elements to the configuration, which would make it complex
>>> to configure. So, IMO we should keep using properties (since these are
>>> optional elements) leveraging the extensibility of the Cartridge definition
>>> file and correctly document them all.

>>> property in cartridge definition ("name": "load.balancer", "value":
>>> "true"). The Autoscaler looks at this to decide whether to assign a normal
>>> Cluster Monitor or a LB Cluster Monitor. If this property is not available,
>>> there is no way to do this.

>>> assume the value of this property as false by default. So, if you didn't
>>> specify it explicitly, its value still be false.

>>> field. WDYT of adding a unique property to identify the LB cartridge?
>>> Furthermore, we could extend this approach to uniquely identify the four
>>> basic cartridge categories as previously discussed in the mail thread with

Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
+1 for the new property!

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Hi Nirnal,

Posted by Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>.
To be clear, concern I raised was to the idea of creating elements in order
to recognize whether it's a lb Cartridge (eg: isLoadBalancer or something).
If we're to go this path we'll end up adding whole lot of elements to the
config, to detect whether it's a data Cartridge and so on.

I'm +1 for defining a general property. But not sure how practical it is.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sent from my mobile.
>
> On Jan 17, 2014 1:18 PM, "damitha kumarage" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Nirmal,
> > IMHO it is not a bad idea to promote an optional property to a mandatory
> property if it is deemed such promotion is necessary. However such changes
> desired to be infrequent and can be allowed between major versions.
>
> +1. This is an important property. Specially when we have more cartridge
> types as Isuru mentioned. Then we can't check if it's there or not. We have
> to know which type is it.
> So +1 for mandating this.
>
> Thanks.
>

> > Damitha
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Nirmal Fernando <ni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Isuru,
> >>
> >> Problem I see here is, if we follow the same structure, we have to
> keep  adding new elements to the configuration, which would make it complex
> to configure. So, IMO we should keep using properties (since these are
> optional elements) leveraging the extensibility of the Cartridge definition
> file and correctly document them all.

> property in cartridge definition ("name": "load.balancer", "value":
> "true"). The Autoscaler looks at this to decide whether to assign a normal
> Cluster Monitor or a LB Cluster Monitor. If this property is not available,
> there is no way to do this.
> >>

> >> Well, the logic should be corrected (if it's not already there) to
> assume the value of this property as false by default. So, if you didn't
> specify it explicitly, its value still be false.

> WDYT of adding a unique property to identify the LB cartridge? Furthermore,
> we could extend this approach to uniquely identify the four basic cartridge
> categories as previously discussed in the mail thread with subject [1].

> >> --
> >> Best Regards,
> >> Nirmal
> >>
> >> Nirmal Fernando.
> >> PPMC Member & Committer of Apache Stratos,
> >> Senior Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
> >>
> >> Blog: http://nirmalfdo.blogspot.com/
> >

> > --
> > Damitha Kumarage