Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Greg Pendlebury <gr...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/17 05:36:44 UTC

Re: Solr metrics in Codahale metrics and Graphite?

In the codahale metrics library there are 1, 5 and 15 minute moving
averages just like you would see in a tool like 'top'. However in Solr I
can only see 5 and 15 minute values, plus 'avgRequestsPerSecond'. I assumed
this was the 1 minute value initially, but it seems to be something like
the average since startup. I haven't looked thoroughly, but it is around 1%
of the other two in a normally idle test cluster after load tests have been
running for long enough that the 5 and 15 minute numbers match the load
testing throughput.

Is this difference deliberate? or an accident? or am I wrong entirely? I
can compute the overall average anyway, given that the stats also include
the start time of the search handler and the total search count, so I
thought it might be an accident.

Ta,
Greg

Posted by Greg Pendlebury <gr...@gmail.com>.
Oh my bad. I thought it was already in. Thanks for the correction.

Ta,
Greg

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.

<gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the codahale metrics library there are 1, 5 and 15 minute moving
> averages just like you would see in a tool like 'top'. However in Solr I
> can only see 5 and 15 minute values, plus 'avgRequestsPerSecond'. I assumed
> this was the 1 minute value initially, but it seems to be something like
> the average since startup. I haven't looked thoroughly, but it is around 1%
> of the other two in a normally idle test cluster after load tests have been
> running for long enough that the 5 and 15 minute numbers match the load
> testing throughput.
>
> Is this difference deliberate? or an accident? or am I wrong entirely? I
> can compute the overall average anyway, given that the stats also include
> the start time of the search handler and the total search count, so I
> thought it might be an accident.
>
> Ta,
> Greg
>

> On 4 May 2013 01:19, Furkan KAMACI <fu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anybody tested Ganglia with JMXTrans at production environment for
>> SolrCloud?
>>
>> 2013/4/26 Dmitry Kan <so...@gmail.com>
>>
>> > Alan, Shawn,
>> >
>> > If backporting to 3.x is hard, no worries, we don't necessarily require
>> the
>> > patch as we are heading to 4.x eventually. It is just much easier within
>> > our organization to test on the existing solr 3.4 as there are a few of
>> > internal dependencies and custom code on top of solr. Also solr upgrades
>> on
>> > production systems are usually pushed forward by a month or so starting
>> the
>> > upgrade on development systems (requires lots of testing and
>> > verifications).
>> >
>> > Nevertheless, it is good effort to make #solr #graphite friendly, so keep
>> > it up! :)
>> >
>> > Dmitry

>> 4.4

>> the